Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Avi One 604 cage which is absolutely brilliant for my three Cockatiels. However lately I have been noticing that paint has been chipped away and rust is showing, now even cleaning the cage has became a bit challenage as all the droppings get stuck and its a mission to try and get them off.

I have read that you can actually re-paint a bird cage if you use caution, here a link to one of the websites I found. http://www.theparrotuniversity.com/repainting_bird_cages.php

I thought that re-painting my cage would be a good idea because buying a brand new one will set me back nearly $400 for the exact same cage.

I just want to hear from other people what they think of the idea.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Personally, I would do it if it saved me 400 dollars. I would just double check with my vet, then follow all of the guidelines listed on the website. It sounds like the real concerns are making sure you give the cage substantial enough time to dry and sanding the cage so you that your paint doesn't chip. Just don't put your birds back in it too early - even if it means they have to overnight in another cage, and make sure your cage is super clean before you begin painting. If you choose not to paint and decide to purchase another cage - you could always look on craigslist for large discounted cages...

·
Registered
13,738 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
since I don't live in the states I'm not sure if it would be wise to have a look on craigslist because it would cost a lot to ship it to New Zealand, however I have checked on Trade Me and haven't come across the same cage at the cheaper price.

I might have to have a look in the store to check if there is some safe paint but if I can't then I will definitely will order some from them.

Thank you guys for the helps, its really much appreciated. ^-^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.