Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wf pied:Hello Talk Cockatiels friends,
This is my first time on this website, but not the first time with cockatiels.
My Poppy and Abigail have had several hatchings, I have 5 babies at this time, it looks like I am due for another 4 babies, since it looks like she went back to laying again, with the eggs dark as they are I may be having another 3-4 more hatch out. I currently have 5 4-1/2 - 5 week old babies, this has been after going about 8 years of not laying eggs. I took the nest box out, after she laid 8 eggs ( one not fertile) 7 hatched out, instead of feeding she went back to breeding, They all died...pretty heart breaking.
I looked on a web site as to what age is good to separate them from mom and dad, one site said 12 weeks...12?! I am noticing that the old is nibbling on its own, so I have already placed it in a pen by itself. Next is a yellow mixed grey, it would rather stay hidden in the nest box than come out and check things out.
I placed feeders, and millet spray on the flooring of the pen, took it out of mom and dad's home, placed it in the other pen, I caught sight of it nibbling on millet spray....so I am thinking we are probably good to go. 3 more left.
:yellow pied::pearl:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Calliesgirl, congrats on the babies I’ve also recently breed with my pair of cockateil this was my first time it’s been amazing to watch them grow.
In my opinion 5 weeks is too young to be separating them from mum and dad at 5 weeks mine were just starting to come out the nest box which means that yes they were having the odd taste of veggies and seeds but dad still did a lot of feedings.
Mine also laid another clutch so were sat in the nest box a lot I took the babies away from mum and dad at 8 weeks just as the next clutch were due to hatch and dad was very really giving them a feed and if he was it was a small amount more to shut them up. Once they were removed they never did the feed crying.
Once I removed them I also kept an eye on their weight to make sure they were eating enough and not losing weight.
Are mum and dad still feeding the babies? If they are I would leave them in with them for now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts