Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! In a few weeks i'm getting my very first cockatiel, his name will be Stretch and is being hand fed. What kind of food and is there anything i need to do when i bring him home? I know there will be a time of adjustment not just for him but me as well. And what treats can i give him? Also i was told cockatiels don,t eat fruit true or false? I'm heading out Monday to get a cage for him.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
It's really good that you're doing your research before bringing Stretch home. :) It will make everything a lot easier for both of you.

You will need a good quality seed mix and some good quality pellets to feed him. You might want to contact his breeder and see what he's being weaned onto so you don't have any problems with him not eating because he's unsure of the food.

When you bring him home he will probably need some time to adjust and you might just want to talk to him happily whenever you pass his cage. He's hand reared so you should have little if any trouble with taming.

Some good treats are spray millet, sunflower seeds and you could see if he likes Cheerio's (the cereal, not the little red frankfurts), i know lots of people feed those to their tiels from time to time.

Cockatiels do eat fruit, but they don't need fruits as they are high in sugar. They do need veggies though. Some good ones are broccoli, carrot, peas, dark leafy greens, etc. Check out the Food and Nutrition section for more. :)

If you want some cage ideas you should see the pinned topic in this forum of everyone's cages. There are lots of great cages for one-two cockatiels there. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts