Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious for those who have more than one bird... how many of your birds are true velcro birds? When I say "velcro", I mean super legit velcro glued on you all the time when you are at home like my tiel is 24/7 lol.

I LOVE velcro birds... but wonder if having multiple velcro birds is challenging? :cool: I can't tell if it's easier because then you always know where your bird is rather than him/her running all around the place getting into trouble.... I almost think that would be more challenging... maybe I'm wrong I have no idea.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Zoe and Panda are both velcro birds, and if they get the chance, they will bicker while they're on me. They usually keep to a shoulder each, though. My Lorikeet is a velcro bird too, but he and the tiels are never out together so there's no bickering issues there.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
When I first got my Candy (about four years ago), she was a total Velcro bird. She was screaming for me and wanted to be carried all the time. It drove me nuts! After a few months of that, we decided to get Tony. It was the best decision ever! It wasn't love at first sight by any means, and they had a few rough patches along the way, but it made them both so much healthier in the long run.
So, here we are, four years later, and I have two well-adjusted birds who enjoy human company, being petted and, Tony especially, being involved in some family activities without being overly needy or Velcro, if you will. Yet, they also enjoy each other's company, which I think makes them feel safer.
I would not have changed a thing.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I only have one, and I would call him a superglue bird rather than a velcro bird!
The other day I was in a hurry and he would just not get off me... :lol:

·
Registered
507 Posts
2/2 lol. They are a pain sometimes, they bicker over every little bit of attention. Someone ALWAYS feels left out

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I have one velcro-bird (Coco). He is extremely bonded to me, will sing to me, try to rape my hand (eek) and will have kisses and cuddles with me all day if he could. He also gets extremely possessive over me and will often attack my partner if he is sitting next to me. I imagine that if I ever had another velcro-bird, there would be a lot of bickering involved that could result in blood being drawn. Coco tolerates my other 'tiels but doesn't have an issue with them being close to me, as they're not as bonded to me as he is, but of course there's still the odd squabble fit between Coco and Henry that I have to break up (they occasionally fight for dominance over perches but it's kind of 'friendly fighting', not with an intent to wound or injure each other).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Percy is glued to me and no one else - there is a well-worn path from my left shoulder, across my chest, to my right shoulder since he runs back and forth when I'm sitting :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't consider any of my group to be velcro birds. Freddy and Todd are both hand-tame. Todd in particular will fly immediately to me when she sees me and stay as long as I let her, getting scritches and grooming my hair. But when the time comes for me to leave, she's bonded to Freddy and doesn't scream or throw a fit. She just goes back to playing with her bird friends. I'd consider her extremely well-adjusted.

Freddy isn't quite as tame. He'll step up and whistle along with me and my family but scritches are out and he does not like at all to be taken away from the sight of the other birds.

Personally, I don't really like velcro birds as my own pets. The responsibility is too great if they cannot ever keep themselves occupied. That's why I love how independent Todd is, but also how willing to cuddle when I'm able.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't consider any of my group to be velcro birds. Freddy and Todd are both hand-tame. Todd in particular will fly immediately to me when she sees me and stay as long as I let her, getting scritches and grooming my hair. But when the time comes for me to leave, she's bonded to Freddy and doesn't scream or throw a fit. She just goes back to playing with her bird friends. I'd consider her extremely well-adjusted.

Freddy isn't quite as tame. He'll step up and whistle along with me and my family but scritches are out and he does not like at all to be taken away from the sight of the other birds.

Personally, I don't really like velcro birds as my own pets. The responsibility is too great if they cannot ever keep themselves occupied. That's why I love how independent Todd is, but also how willing to cuddle when I'm able.
I LOVE velcro birds but I know what you mean.... as I always feel so guilty when I have to leave my tiel home alone I always find myself rushing back home as quickly as possible!! I also hate feeling so guilty because he doesn't understand why he can't always come with me when I leave the house. I'll probably end up getting another tiel for him but very uncertain if that would really make him happier or not :wacko:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I also hate feeling so guilty because he doesn't understand why he can't always come with me when I leave the house.
That's my problem too. My boy always clearly expresses his disappointment when I come home, making me feel guilty. I open the cage immediately. He comes out but won't let me even take off my shoes in another room. It appears he fears to lose me again. After a while he adjusts and I can leave the room (not for too long!).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's my problem too. My boy always clearly expresses his disappointment when I come home, making me feel guilty. I open the cage immediately. He comes out but won't let me even take off my shoes in another room. It appears he fears to lose me again. After a while he adjusts and I can leave the room (not for too long!).
LOL, I totally get what you are saying!! My tiel does the exact same thing. It takes him a few minutes to calm down and realize I'm not leaving again for that long... boy does he throw a fit if he thinks I might be leaving again... he hyper ventilates!! It's not regular flock calling but panic type of screams.... I HATE it when he does this as I'm leaving the houses he does it on purpose to make me feel even more guilty! If I leave the room he flys afters me and lands on my shoulder. Extremely cute, but I gotta feel bad for him... I swear I'm going to end up getting another tiel just for him. OMG. I just hope I don't regret it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have 6 birds and when im home 3 of them are velcro birds, Bizzums, Flynn and Pippin.

Pippin isn't tame all scritchy but will he get off my head without a fight? NO!

Bizzums is usually on my shoulder making kissing noises and nibbling my glasses.

Flynn is either on me or my mum if he cant see either of us he will let everyone know...

Willow is becoming very attached to my back but she's not tame either lol.

When I walk through the gate after work I hear their flock calls, everytime :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts