Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I saw how much Plukie's Dooby enjoyed the parrot food as treats I went out and got some parrot treats for the babies. I have only given the what I know is safe but some of the ingredients for other stuff in there made me wonder... It mentioned it has paprika, garlic, black pepper and onion powder. There are different treats in there.....I know Baby use to LOVE onions from my salad but I read that they aren't safe and stoped letting her have them. She ate them for almost a year every few weeks. Anyway, I want to be sure they are ok-they are given to parrots so I would think they are fine. Almost all the treats I looked at had these. Just wondering if maybe in small amounts they are ok. Oh, they're called Second Helpin' Parrot Treats...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I read somewhere that garlic was a no-no with birds. I'll try to find out more...

Hmm, maybe not

Fresh garlic, rather than concentrated forms such as garlic powder, should be offered to parrots. Garlic belongs to a family of plants that can cause anemia in some animals if given in large amounts for long periods of time. I can find no evidence that garlic is harmful to parrots but because of the anemia problem with other small animals, I would not feed it in large quantities.
Where abouts was the onion powder listed in the ingredients? If it was quite far down the list there probably isn't enough of it to worry about.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere that garlic was a no-no with birds. I'll try to find out more...

Hmm, maybe not

Where abouts was the onion powder listed in the ingredients? If it was quite far down the list there probably isn't enough of it to worry about.

Intresting thing about the garlic. I thought it was bad too...
The onion powder was pretty far down so I think it's fine too.I'm still wondering about the onions because of how long she ate them before I stoped letting her have them...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Maybe the onions is like potato - it's only bad raw. Although i would think that concentrated in powder wouldn't be any better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts