Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lil mommy hen has been laying eggs again even though I had already put her eggs from previous clutch as dummy eggs.
I didn't see any veins when I candled them though... just like last time...

Unlike last time however, she doesn't seem to be interested in sitting on the ones she laid but is only concerned with the 5th one she laid yesterday.
I wasn't able to put an actual box (with cover) because the cage isn't spacey enough and I can't change the location of the cage like I did last time to extend it because of pest problem.
I already placed a nest like carton and some shredded paper towels* but she never sat on them and not only that but she and daddy too maybe took the eggs out of the carton and they've been getting pooped on... They did nicely shred the newspapers but that's about it.They never sat on them regularly.

I am not sure what they exactly want to do with the eggs. Both of the sweethearts have the same shade of the greenish color as their crest but on their forehead. Is this something hormonal? Mommy also does this ongoing call and I feel frustrated for my inability to read her internal desire.

-----
By the way, I already got aspen bedding from Alfapet (the only one they had) but I actually didn't even use it because I felt paranoid from the heavy smell. I haven't used it since 2010 so I don't remember if they were supposed to smell that much? (I also have heightened senses maybe that's why?)
When I search information online it makes me feel more uncomfortable. I don't want them affected and I just want to be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Aspen is typically safe but if it has a smell it may be moldy and I would recommend getting a new bag. Not having a proper nest box may be contributing to some of the issues. Are you trying to breed them on purpose? Have you seen them mate properly?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts