Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into adopting a cockatiel in the next few months. I've had parakeets and finches in the past so this isn't my first bird... Though it is my first larger bird and I have a few questions for those who have experience with owning them.

1) About how loud are these birds? I have read that males are louder than females and compared to other types of birds, tiels are rather quiet. I also know it varies per individual bird, so... How loud are your tiels?

2) How often do you get your bird out? I am a student and my roommate works fulltime so there will be times when the tiel will be alone for a few hours. Outside of school and work, we are always home and can spend a lot of time with it.

3) Do these birds do best in pairs? Or is just one okay?

4) This is the main reason why I've been hesitant to adopt any bird, but I do own two cats and I don't know how these birds would react to being near cats. Do any of you have experience with owning both a cat and a tiel? My cats can be trained to stay away from animals, as I have had many prey-type animals (primarily rodents) in the past and they knew to leave them alone.

Any additional tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
questions

Hi jrene - I have just one cockatiel and he seems fine. I have never had 2 together. I think it's nice if you can do it. I work full time, so Bennie is alone most of the day. I live just about a mile from work so I often go home to have lunch with him. Whenever I am home, Bennie's cage door is open. He will come out and fly around, or climb up on top of his cage on his "roof-top" ladder. He is not a noisy bird; very quiet actually, but that may be the exception. He does talk and will sometimes screech or chirp loudly, but that does not bother me. There is a mirror in his cage and Bennie talks to his "friend." I would be very concerned about the cats. Having a bird flying around, or fluttering to the floor, would be very hard for a cat to resist.
Best wishes to you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.