Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. So I'm new to these forums and I have an adult cockatiel who I got back in March of this year. By now, were bonded pretty good and she trusts me.
Lately I've been thinking about adopting a parakeet and keeping her in the same room but in a different cage- I'm wondering, will this affect my cockatiel's bond with me? She was very wary of me when I first got her and wouldn't even let me go near her, but now she loves being with me.
I'm just worried that getting a parakeet might ruin our bond- or she might be more inclined to be with the parakeet than me.

If anyone has any input or answers they'd be appreciated, thanks! :pied:

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
A cockatiel that is bonded to humans will usually stay bonded when new flock members are added, even if the new flock member is an opposite-sex cockatiel and they pair up and start making babies.

It might affect your bond with the new bird however. This bird doesn't love you yet, and is likely to be more interested in your other bird than in you. You'll have a better chance of making friends with the new bird if you can get one that is already socialized to humans rather than one that is completely untame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.