Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just want to inquire about whether it is common for your tiel to become grumpy and snippy when a new bird arrives into the household and whether THIS ADTTITUTE WILL PASS?

We brought home a 7 week old baby GC conure yesterday and Taco (female, around 2 years old) seems a little grumpy. She has never hiss and threaten to bite when I reach my hand in her cage to step up, but this morning she did and I am wondering if the new bird has anything to do with it? The conure is in a different part of the house but they have 'seen' each other.

Can I get some stories of members who have brought home a 2nd bird to hear about what reactions to expect from my little Taco? Thanks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine were just interested in eachother. They saw eachother first through a glass door. The new one was inside on the floor up against the glass door and the two existing birds were in a cage outside. The existing ones came down to the bottom of the cage to be as close as they could to the new one and they tweeted to eachother. These were all cockatiels, one male and two females.
I then rehomed one of the birds i had (the male) but when the remaining one (female) joined the new addition (also female) after quarantine all went very well. They were wary of eachother and they would peck if the other got too close but not aggressively, just like a warning to back off because they were sure they were cool yet lol. After a week of seeing eachother out of the cage and hanging out they were fine to be moved into the same cage. Never had an issue. I believe I was pretty lucky though, I've heard of a lot harder transitions than this. I think it helped that they could hear eachother for the 6 weeks I had the newbie in quarantine and they would tweet (more like screech lol) at eachother.
My old tiels behaviour didn't change, but she'd always been with another bird so it was no different for her in that sense, it was just a new friend. The new one though, she changed. Whilst in quarantine she was clingy and loved the crap out of me but when Darla came along and joined her she got grumpy and she's only just coming out of it a bit now, but I think that might have something to do with her moulting too. She's also more independent now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts