Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about getting sunflower seeds out of the food that I have purchased. Does anyone have any ideas how to get the sunflower seeds out without having to pick them out one by one. Maybe a strainer of some sort? where it catches the sun flower seed and the rest of the seed falls through the holes... If you have any nifty ideas please send them my way.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Don't know an easy way to strain them out, so can't help with that one, but for future purchases take a look at parakeet seed blends and compare to the cockatiel mixes. For example, I sometimes add a little Kaytee Forti Diet to Percy's food dish - the cockatiel version has sunflowers while the parakeet edition leaves them out but is otherwise about the same. (Kaytee varies their product offerings so you need to check for yourself.)

·
Registered
885 Posts
^ I second the parakeet mix. I buy my seed from a lady who makes up mixes for different species herself (with excellent ratios) so I don't need to bother anymore, but before I found her, I would buy budgie mix and a bag of sunflower seeds and make up my own. It's much, much easier than picking all of the sunflower seeds out of a cockatiel mix, which I have also done in the past lmao.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I also get the Parakeet mix, I get Healthy Select. I add in some hemp, and a few other seeds, but it has no sunflower seeds. He eats it all. The only way he likes the sunflower seeds is when they are sprouted. Silly bird!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Whenever I buy seeds with sunflower seeds added, I use a kitchen strainer (the one I use for pasta) to separate them. I put it over Joey's food container (a flour sized Tupperware cannister that had been my grandma's), and add a bit at a time. When all the little stuff is through, I dump the sunflower seeds into another airtight container, then do a bit more, until it is all sorted. I then use the sunflower seeds for hand fed treats.

This method takes a bit of time, but worth it if you are wanting the sunflower seeds. Otherwise, I'd agree with the parakeet mix. I only buy the seeds with sunflower seeds in them when I run out of sunflower seeds, so it isn't often. The rest of the time I buy the parakeet mix, or a cockatiel mix without sunflower seeds.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I sometimes mix 25% cockatiel seed with 75% parakeet seed to even out the sunflower seed ratio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts