Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So next Sunday Jasper will have been with me for a month. He has been kept in a separate cage, in a separate room from Charlie. When I first got Jasper there was something off with him. He was puffed up a lot and was breathing funny. Took him to the vet and discovered the breathing funny was probably due to hypertrophy of the cere. He had one nostril completely covered over by skin and the other nostril wasn't open as much as is should have been. The vet fixed that and Jasper has been breathing much better ever since. About a week and a half after getting Jasper he stopped being puffed up all the time, his eyes are brighter and, in general, he is back to being a healthy bird. So here is the question...

Since Jasper was sick with something, do I extend the quarantine? I really want to get him in the living room where I spend most of my time but I don't want to risk Charlie getting sick at all. My plan is to move Jasper's cage next to Charlie's and just let them get to know each other that way for a while. Also, I still have a lot of work to do with Jasper (not social but getting better). So... what do you recommend I do with the quarantine? End it next Sunday or give it another week or two? I'd really appreciate it if you could explain why you feel one way or the other. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I had a similar problem when i first got my second budgie Ozzie, he got sick two weeks into quarantine. I started the 30 days completely over again from when he was better. It's safer that way, even if it is frustrating to wait so long.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
:) It'll be worth it in the end. I had been a bit slack with Ozzie's quarantine and he had been in the same room as Blinkie. I was mortified with myself after discovering Ozzie was sick and i've been strict with quarantine ever since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.