Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Question about long distance travelling

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Artenius 
#1 ·
Hello all,
First post here, so here it goes. I am a first time cockatiel buyer but unfortunately I have to travel to my Grandparents place for Christmas party and I have to take my cockatiel. The car drive is around 1.5-2 hours drive. Will my cockatiel be able to survive that in a small travel carrier or will I need to sit him on my shoulder or in his full size cage. Also do I need a blanket to cover the cage?
Thanks
Liam :)

#2 ·
I am also going away for Christmas and taking my tiel in the car with me - it's about a 2 hour drive, give or take. I have a small canvas pet carrier that I put her in, with a hand towel and treats - we will probably stop once so she can get out of the pet carrier and have a look around inside the car and have a drink if she wants it. I wouldn't have the tiel on your shoulder as they can fly around if startled and could get under the driver's feet.

#3 ·
We take our's with us when we go to LA every once and a while, it's about a three hour drive and they do just fine. We give them some food and stop to give them water. We have a small travel cage that we put them in.

#7 ·
You don't necessarily need to cover the bird. It might reduce the bird from stressing out so much, but some birds actually love to go on car rides and watch things zoom by. Just see how your bird reacts.
I have taken my birds on both a 2 hour and a 5-6 hour drive. I will be bringing 3 chicks with me to a relatives which will be about a 4 hour drive this weekend.

I would avoid putting him in a cage in case he gets freaked out and thrashes around. The drive you stated doesn't seem very long to me so you might not need to stop and give him water and food, but you can if you'd like to. Just make sure he gets it before you leave and once you arrive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.