Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are guessing that Taco is close to two years old because we have had her a year and a half. She has not laid any eggs yet. Does this mean that she will not be a chronic layer, or can you not judge whether or not a hen will lay eggs based on age of bird the first time she lays?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am not sure, as I am far from being an expert...but I have a hen who has never laid eggs and I have had a hen who started laying eggs at 9 months (infertile as she was in a cage of her own). Sadly, it did not end well for her as she passed away a few months ago from being egg-bound. So, I think it all just depends on the individual bird? Someone more knowledgeable in the area may have different views.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think any 'tiel has the capability of being a chronic layer, I don't think there is a way to judge it until it happens unfortunately. :(

We can stop them from wanting to lay eggs by reducing the places they can lay eggs, not giving them warm mushy foods when they are hormonal. Along with making sure they get sunlight(vitamin D3) and plenty of calcium, vitamins A & E, and protein just in case they start to lay. The battle against chronic egg laying is environmental and nutritional! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts