Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya I have a pair neither are cinnamon so i believe the male is split cinnamon which produces cinnamon chicks that are hens is that correct?

So my question is if my other hen that's cinnamon has a cinnamon chick could that be of either sex?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
A better picture of mom's back would help. She looks awfully cinnamon in the pic. Baby doesn't look cinnamon so a picture of baby's back would help as well.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes a cinnamon could be either sex. Caution should be shown with pieds since they can have a condition called "tricolor" where some sections of feathering look cinnamon when cinnamon genes are not present. Better pics of the chick may help.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha i see what you mean that baby doesnt look cinnamon in that pic lol. my phone isnt taking best pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The chick looks like a normal gray pied to me. If it is a male, it hasn't molted in the darker male feathers you see in the father. This may be why you think the chick is cinnamon.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I don't know, it looks awfully cinnamon to me. But mom is also a cinnamon which means if the baby is cinnamon it could be either gender.

If dad is split cinnamon and mom is a visual, baby can be either gender. If mom was not cinnamon and dad is split, baby is female. Because mom is a visual cinnamon pearl, baby is either. And because baby is pied, it's going to be really hard to tell gender without a DNA test.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thanks roxy I'm pretty sure it's cinnamon. Luckily the sex doesn't bother me I was just curious about the genes as I've also got a pair of non cinnamon I the aviary that produces cinnamons

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you have experience with cinnamon I will take your word for it. This mutation can sometimes be tricky to identify over the internet for a number of reasons. Firstly because there are other diluting mutations like Emerald, Fallow, Recessive Silver, Dominant Silver, and Pewter. Secondly because lighting conditions and monitor settings can affect how each bird appears to each person. Seeing the suspect cinnamon bird in person is always better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts