Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all - so I finally found my grey WF baby tiel!
I brought him home today and have him set-up in his own cage.
Right now the new tiel is on the second floor and Peanut is on the first floor. This is separate air space and I will keep them apart for at least 40-60 days. In the meantime, should I be concerned about changing clothes when I'm tending to the new little guy and then when tending to Peanut? I just want to make sure that I don't pass anything - knock on wood - to Peanut. I know the odds of the bird being sick are low, but I just want to be sure. Thanks all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yikes?!? Uh, yes 60 days.
It's vet recommended to quarantine for at least 6 weeks.
And why respond if you're not adding value?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
60 days is the vet recommended IF you don't go see a vet. Usually if they go two weeks and get a vet check, most people put their birds together. I myself have done so. That being said, two weeks is a very short time span to know if a bird actually has anything.

As to changing clothes, I would. If you are going from the new tiel to Peanut, I would at least have a top that is for the new bird ONLY. Take it off before you leave the room and only wear it when handling the new bird. That way you don't have to change a whole outfit but are still being safe for Peanut.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
My vet recommends 60 days regardless of whether or not they get a health check. It's just really hard to diagnose a lot of illnesses in birds, testing or not.

Good for you, sprman00.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I *always* quarantine my new birds for 60 days even though they get a vet visit. I don't think it's unnecessary at all.

To answer your question, I will generally throw on a different t-shirt and wash my hands after i'm done tending to quarantined birds.

I used to work in a packaging factory, and I was the manager of one of the food production rooms and we had to wear these disposable coats when in that food room. I stole a few and keep them in my cupboard so when I get new birds in, I can throw a disposable coat on when I go into the new bird's room and take it off when I leave. After the 60 days I throw it out and start with a fresh one if I get another new bird. They are really handy lol! Thanks, work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the info, roxy culver.
Enigma731 & Shaenne, thanks for the info and support!

J

·
0 Posts
I live in an EXTREMELY ridiculously small house. There is simply NO possible way to properly quarantine. I also reside in south FL where it is horrendously hot/humid... the AC is constantly running... every room in the house is flooded with the same air.... I do not see any point in quarantine when you cannot even do it properly! There is no such thing as a "proper quarantine" when done at home.

Vets also unnecessarily over vaccinate pets year after year with dangerous vaccines.... it's all PROFIT driven.... vaccinations are a huge portion of a vets profits. Big pharmas, western practicing MDs etc... all about PROFITS driven by fear mongering!!!! You cannot even go the to drug store (CVS, Walgreens) nowadays without being harassed about getting a flu shot. It is truly ABSURD. Follow the MONEY and you will find the truth.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Vets also unnecessarily over vaccinate pets year after year with dangerous vaccines.... it's all PROFIT driven.... vaccinations are a huge portion of a vets profits. Big pharmas, western practicing MDs etc... all about PROFITS driven by fear mongering!!!! You cannot even go the to drug store (CVS, Walgreens) nowadays without being harassed about getting a flu shot. It is truly ABSURD. Follow the MONEY and you will find the truth.
Sure, but if you follow the research literature on diagnostics for avian diseases, you'll see that there is good evidence for the 60 day quarantine recommendation. Given how phenomenonally difficult it is to get research funding in today's political climate, I highly doubt all those scientists are being driven by profit. There's nothing profitable about being a researcher. Plus, it's not like a vet gets to charge for an owner quarantining their bird, so...having difficulty following your logic here.

BTW, you're right that it's not realistic that everyone is able to adhere to the best quarantine standards and that's a risk each individual owner will have to decide for themselves. But I see no point in trying to discourage someone who has both the resources and motivation to meet best practices just because you personally can't do the same.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yeah.. Home quarantine is not profitable for anyone so i'm not sure what you're getting at there..

I understand why you don't see the point in quarantining in your home, but that's no reason to tell someone else that their quarantine procedure is unnecessary. We don't know what sprman00's home setup is like. I am able to quarantine here "properly" with a completely separate airspace to where my current birds are, so there is most definitely such a thing as proper quarantine when done at home.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Vets also unnecessarily over vaccinate pets year after year with dangerous vaccines.... it's all PROFIT driven.... vaccinations are a huge portion of a vets profits
I work in a vet clinic. Vaccines are not where the money is at, that's for sure. First off, two of the vaccines we give are three year vaccines after the first two. Considering that we've had two cases of rabies in the last six months here in the Austin/San Antonio area, I would say we are not vaccinating enough.

Anyways, back on topic. Quarantining is super important. I always tried to do it for my birds, even when I had so many. While it's not always ideal, it's at least worth a shot. When I lived in my small apartment, sure no separate air space, but that didn't mean I had to let the birds be together from day. Not every disease is airborne only.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yea let's get this thread back on topic guys. Quarantining is super important. I learned this the hard way. I did quarantine for two weeks with two new birds, just like I did with every bird I brought in. One was still sick and she managed to get Cinnamon sick, I ended up losing both birds. The longer the better is always a good idea.

J

·
0 Posts
Yea let's get this thread back on topic guys. Quarantining is super important. I learned this the hard way. I did quarantine for two weeks with two new birds, just like I did with every bird I brought in. One was still sick and she managed to get Cinnamon sick, I ended up losing both birds. The longer the better is always a good idea.
What did the bird have that spread to the other bird?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Not sure I never got a necropsy done. I was WAY too upset. All I know is that the new bird got sick, then Cinnamon did. I lost both of them within a week's span of each other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts