Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, quarantine is over. Yeah. It ended at 36 days...I just couldn't make it to the 40th day as the flock calling had reached an insane level. I put Shadow's cage next to Peanut's, about a foot apart, and almost immediately Peanut began serenading Shadow with songs, whistles and a little chit chat. I let each one out separately to investigate their new friend on their own terms. It all seemed to be going well...both birds spent the rest of the evening staring, whistling and chirping to each other. Looks like they will be good buddies. This morning is another story. As soon as I uncovered his cage, Peanut began lunging, hissing and trying to bite me through the cage. I dismissed it at first, thinking he was just being a morning cranky pants, but knew the demon bird was back when he was still trying to attack me when I was changing his food and water. He is currently perched on the side of his cage that is next to Shadows's and is whistling and chirping to him. I opened his cage to let him out and he didn't even blink...just stayed perched and fixated on Shadow, chirping and whistling to him...but ready to attack me lol. Throughout Peanuts display of aggressive behavior, Shadow has remained calm and sociable. I don't want to believe that giving Peanut a buddy has backfired...burn on me. I'm ignoring Peanuts behavior, but want to figure it out. Thoughts?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Could it be that Peanut was a bit hormonal before you introduced Shadow, and now it's bloomed into big time hormonal? I know they get bitey and hissy, and he might be trying to protect his new friend. Other than that, I don't know what it would be. You might try reading this sticky: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330. Maybe someone else will come along with a better idea :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey JoJo's mom! I certainly hope it is not hormonal...Peanut was an angel up until this morning. Could it be possible that he would turn on me to "protect" his new friend?? Oh boy, I'm in for it, lol. So much for me being his "obsession".
I hope Peanut comes around...don't like seeing him like this.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes, that could be it too I suppose...Maybe see how he is after a few days, and hopefully he will calm down. But if he doesn't I would definitely start at least covering him for longer periods at night. Poor you! Milo is getting hormonal I think- biting and hissing. I started covering him for longer nights, and he is getting better now. Either way I hope Peanut starts calming down :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, and good luck with Milo. I will give this a few days and may have to start over, maybe slowly re-introduce Shadow.

UPDATE: Interesting development...I put a blanket over the side of Peanuts cage which faces Shadows and within a minute Peanut completely calmed down. He even whistled to be let out of his cage...he immediately flew to my shoulder, asked for scritches, flew to Shadow to say hi (literally) and then flew back to me and serenaded me for five minutes. Hmmmm, so it seems Peanut was freaking out because he was territorial over his cage. Crisis averted...phew!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts