Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I currently have a pair of untamed breeding cockatiels in an aviary in my yard, and 2 of their babies (both DNA males, 8 months old now), indoors, semi tame but just do not overly enjoy human interaction, and bite.

The two indoors get plenty of attention, mixed diet and were hand raised by me. But I am just curious if putting them in with the parents will cause any issues such as inbreeding or cause the pair to stop breeding? The two boys seem like they will enjoy company of other cockatiels as when they are put outdoors for fresh air they call loudly to neighbor cockatiels.

I feel like this will be best for them but not sure if it will be best for the parents.

Thanks in advance! :grey tiel:

EDIT- have realized this is in the wrong section and should be in the housing or behavior!

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
It should be OK to keep them together when the parents aren't breeding, although every bird is an individual and you'll have to see how well they get along. At this point the parents won't have any special affection for their children, and will consider them to be the same as any other random bird.

When the parents ARE breeding, it's asking for trouble to have other birds in the cage. The children will be interested in the nest even though they don't have mates, and it will probably cause fighting. Inbreeding is unlikely though. The sons might want to pair up with their mother (which can also cause fighting), but she probably won't accept the offer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts