Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the topic title says it all :)

My name is Lore, I am currently 23 years old (turning 24 at the beginning of February) and studying to become a veterinary nurse/assistant. I probably live far away from most of you, as I am from the Netherlands and do live all the way over there.
I've always had a love and passion for animals, and although I have had many different kinds of pets and 'petsat' a whole bunch of other kinds too, I am still fairly new to keeping birds. My parents simply never cared much for them (not that they fear or really dislike birds, my dad actually adores my cockatiel!) and me or my sisters probably just never knew enough about birds to ask to have one as a pet.

As mentioned, I have a young cockatiel, Puck, whom is 4 months old at the time of writing this introductory post. Sadly, he was clipped as per request by the people who were supposed to purchase him from the breeder, but then the breeder just never heard from them again and Puck ended up not having a home. I had no plans for getting myself a cockatiel (yet) as I had just had to say goodbye to my two parrotlets (they sadly made too much noise and it caused problems for my neighbours). But I immediately fell deep and hard for this little guy, and he is the sweetest bird!
He always steps up, loves to cuddle and has never once bitten me in the 2 months we've been living together and getting used to one another (even if he seems to be somewhat traumatized by having been clipped and gets 'angry' if you do touch his wings)

This story is a bit messy, I tend to write like this because my mind is usually all over the place and would like to apologize for that in advance. Sometimes my stories get too long, because I want to tell too many things at once. If I ever seem to not (completely) make sense, do ask me, I'll be happy to clarify what I meant ;)
Any other questions here, about myself, my education, my pets (I have a few more at my parents' places), or anything else, are absolutely welcome! I'll be happy to get to know all of you :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I currently work as a veterinary nurse. It's quite a rewarding career!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both! :)
I already feel quite comfy here, haha. But it helps that this board is pretty active and everyone so far seems friendly!

@Roxy: So we're (soon to be) colleagues! :) how cool! I am currently on an internship (as a caretaker now, as we need to pass an exam for that first) at a shelter, and it really is rewarding to work with animals. Still a bit afraid of dogs though (thought I was over it but I still get nervous around german sheperd and stafford/bulldog type dogs) but definitely working on it now, since I am ome of the caretakers of the dogs this week.
Would you mind if I send you a private message? I would love to hear about your experiences as a veterinary nurse, and am curious to find out if there's any differences between the States and the Netherlands in the workfield.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Very cool! Glad to meet you and Puck :D

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
@Roxy: So we're (soon to be) colleagues! how cool! I am currently on an internship (as a caretaker now, as we need to pass an exam for that first) at a shelter, and it really is rewarding to work with animals. Still a bit afraid of dogs though (thought I was over it but I still get nervous around german sheperd and stafford/bulldog type dogs) but definitely working on it now, since I am ome of the caretakers of the dogs this week.
Would you mind if I send you a private message? I would love to hear about your experiences as a veterinary nurse, and am curious to find out if there's any differences between the States and the Netherlands in the workfield
Of course!! I'll be honest, I would take a crazy german shepard/staffy over a nappy chihuahua any day. My thoughts on it are, I can lay on top of the german shepard to do what I need to do to him. That alligator rolling chihuahua? No way Jose, those things are nasty. I've been bit a couple times but that's all part of the job! I love it and won't work in any other field!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts