Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
Question is: What test is done to check for psittacosis and can anyone give me an idea on how expensive it is?
I tried calling up all the avian vets in my city but of course they're all closed or the avian vets themselves have left for the day and there's only receptionist who don't know what psittacosis is to answer questions! Darla has been sneezing lately, wet sneezes that she happily sprays in my face, though I'm not sure if it's just from her drinking water or whatever because it always happens when I haven't been paying attention to her prior activity. Buttercup (my other girl) originally came from an avairy and was then removed by the aviary owners friend for hand rearing so she may have been exposed. Buttercup has a mild respitory infection at the moment too so those things all put together set off alarm bells for me even though the vet said she didn't think testing for psittacosis was necessary from what she could see.

Ps. I think I'm spelling psittacosis right but if not, sorry!

·
Registered
186 Posts
50ish bucks give or take I would have a blood count and bacterial culture too if can offord probable likev200 bucks for all maybe a little more . we're u located?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting the results today from buttercups psittacosis tests. It cost $125 for the tests, I wasn't charged for a consultation. I'm super nervous about the news.... They did an antibody test and a blood smear and apparently use the results from both tests to get a more accurate diagnosis at the end.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It came back positive. Which means they'll both have it. Now I need to decide if I want to get injections or oral solutions for them.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
That's tough, but good that you know and caught it before they're showing serious symptoms! I'd probably do the oral meds, but that's me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm going to do the injections since they told me they had higher sucess rate with it. It's stressing me out pretty badly though.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oh no :( that's really good that you followed your feeling though and got the tests done. Good luck and I hope everything goes well. Sending good thoughts to you and your 'tiels.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think I'm going to do the injections since they told me they had higher sucess rate with it. It's stressing me out pretty badly though.
Higher success rate is good, I agree. Will you be learning to do the injections yourself or will the vet do them?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys. I'll have to take them in every week for the vet to administer, which I worry will stress them but I'm no good at oral meds so thatd probably stress them as well. At least the injections are only once a week and they'll get a rest, oral meds are twice a day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
oral meds do stress them out, and they get cranky during the duration you're giving them to them. but at least in my experience it's more of a "I want to be left alone because I'm mad at you for that now!" but all birds are different...

if i were you i would go with the injections. if its less often and has a higher success rate it seems much better to me o: either way you choose, that's really good you did go and get them checked out, especially when you did. i hope they make a smooth recovery!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you galactickiwi, I think injections are my best bet too now :) though darla isn't actually sick so the vet said not to treat her, if buttercup doesn't improve I will be getting injections on her. Poor thing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts