Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night my boyfriend bought up the subject of more birds, which I'd been talking about a lot before I discovered buttercup is carrying psittacosis. My questions is, is it irresponsible to get more birds and have them exposed to psittacosis? My head says yes, and I probably won't get more, but I do really want more at some point. psittacosis isn't a death sentence (contrary to what I used to think due to all the hype about it) and can be treated pretty well, though they say it usually never goes away, just lies "dormant". I'm a little confused about what's morally right here. I know there's lots of birds that are neglected and needing homes and I can give them a very loving one and, if they ever were to get ill, I could look after them very well but I don't know :/

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I think you have to do a cost/benefit analysis from the perspective of the bird. In my mind, a bird that gets excellent care from you all of the time, including proper veterinary care if/when symptoms flare up, then that far outweighs the quality of life that same bird would have had with a less attentive owner. Especially for a rescue bird.

As you've seen, birds can get exposed from any little thing, even going to the vet if there are other birds there that day. We do the best that we can, but we can't put our birds in little glass bubbles to protect them, because that would make them miserable too.

Bottom line: I don't think it's irresponsible to get more birds as long as you have the means to treat all of them should it be needed.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I was thinking exactly what enigma said. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I completely agree with enigma and CharVicki too.

You are so right, enigma, that birds can even get sick in a vet's waiting room. I always try to sit away from others when I go, but there is not much more I can do. I sometimes get sick too when I go to the doc and there are sick people in the waiting room.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys :) I feel better knowing I wouldn't be evil to get more birds! However I know I'm not in the financial situation to be able to guarantee I could pay for 3 vet bills all at the same time, I know how expensive they can be! I could pay for 3 birds treatments for psittacosis but knowing my luck and knowing birdies it'll probably end up being more expensive than just that! I'll save up a lot of back up money before considering a new addition :) Couple of grand should be enough cover, do you reckon?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts