Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was glancing over the ingredients in the LaFeber's Nutri-Berries and just realized that propylene glycol is listed in the ingredients:
Hulled canary grass seed, hulled white proso millet, oat groats, peanut granules, red millet, malto-dextrin, corn, corn syrup, wheat, corn oil, soybean meal, ground limestone, glycerin, dicalcium phosphate, propylene glycol, gelatin, whole egg, iodized salt, canola oil, DL-methionine (an amino acid), citric acid, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), calcium propionate (a preservative), vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, ascorbic acid, niacin supplement, carotene, manganese proteinate, calcium pantothenate, biotin, zinc proteinate, riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, vitamin D3 supplement, natural colors, folic acid.
Is this something I should be concerned about at all?
I feed Nutri-Berries as a special treat, once in a great while.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's used as a mild sweetner and as preservative and is found in many pet products. I'm not a huge fan of it and would prefer to see natural preservatives and sweetners. If you're only feeding this intermittently you should not have any issues.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Preservatives get a bad rep but food without preservatives is vulnerable to mold and bacteria, which do their own share of harm.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
There's nothing wrong with propylene glycol. There are people on the internet spreading scary rumors about it but that's all it is - rumors. There are scare-tactic campaigns going about several other common ingredients in pellets and nutriberries too, with an equal lack of substance. Anti-pellet comments come up often enough on some of the other groups I belong to that I wrote an article about it to help dispel the myths: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-misc-pellets.html

·
Registered
878 Posts
My tiel Baby Boy was fed the standard cockatiel Nutriberries as his main dish (no pellets) for all 27 1/2 years of his life. No complaints about that product here.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
propylene glycol

My brother in law told me the same thing about that ingredient on shampoos. He said it's antifreeze. But, I think he's a little confused. The deadly ingredient in antifreeze is ethyleneglycol, a totally different substance. Maybe that has caused the same confusion with those who question its use in Nutriberries.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My brother in law told me the same thing about that ingredient on shampoos. He said it's antifreeze. But, I think he's a little confused. The deadly ingredient in antifreeze is ethylene glycol, a totally different substance. Maybe that has caused the same confusion with those who question its use in Nutriberries.
You're both right :) Ethylene glycol is the deadly substance used as antifreeze in car engines and other applications that don't involve drinking water systems. Propylene glycol is also used as antifreeze in things like recreational vehicles to keep the drinking water pipes from freezing in the off-season - it doesn't poison the water system the way ethylene glycol would.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
propylene glycol

You're both right :) Ethylene glycol is the deadly substance used as antifreeze in car engines and other applications that don't involve drinking water systems. Propylene glycol is also used as antifreeze in things like recreational vehicles to keep the drinking water pipes from freezing in the off-season - it doesn't poison the water system the way ethylene glycol would.
Thank you tielbob! I thought it might be something like that. I knew there was a safe alternative to the ethylene, but didn't know for sure if that's what it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts