Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the proper foods to give a nesting hen. i think her eggs are fertile and i wanna keep her up and rearing for the feeding. once the eggs hatch what should i feed her. i read soft foods but nothing is descriptive.

if they hatch i plan on half and half feeding. letting the parents feed and then me helping as well so they can be handled.

ill take any advice

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Wheat bread is a favorite, broccoli, kale, and pellets. I would remove seed from the cage until the chicks are at least over a week old. Half and half feeding can be tricky, formula does not mix well with natural foods. If the parents are not feeding enough, feed and allow the crop to empty somewhat before returning them to the nest. Having a brooder on hand is very helpful.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I wouldn't remove the seeds if that's what she's used to eating, that will make her think the food supply has dried up and she won't sit on the eggs. My birds fed seed to their babies and did just fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to be honest i keep seed in the cage but they don't eat much of it. they love the pellets and i give them a lot of fresh foods. they love the fresh veggies and fruits.

they feasted this morning. they had apples, oranges, carrots, celery, peppers, and broccoli. they made a mess and there little faces covered in food was so adorable!

·
Registered
786 Posts
They also need a cuttle bone or sources of calcium, such as spinach or kale while they are laying. A small amount of egg ( scrambled is a favorite of mine, in the microwave) now and then also, or egg food will do.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Pellets are an excellent breeding food - they're nutritionally balanced and they turn to mush when the parent bird drinks water, so they're a nice soft baby food. High potency pellets (sometimes called breeder formulas) are great for breeding birds. Their nutrient content is fairly similar to handfeeding formula. I know that Harrisons and Mazuri have a high potency/breeder pellet, and it's possible that other brands have one too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone. I'm super excited. i hope they are fertile! I'm not gonna check them i wanna be surprised when they hatch lol

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
thanks everyone. I'm super excited. i hope they are fertile! I'm not gonna check them i wanna be surprised when they hatch lol
Be prepared to,feed your parent birds ALOT! My parents will not touch the seeds or pellets at first and scream every hour or 2 for more fresh soft foods.. After a week or two they will start to feed some pellets but are feeding massive amounts of fresh foods and as I said they will continuously scream if they do not have any... I am kept busy just feeding them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts