Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to work with my bird after thinking, lastnight I kept "Birdy's" cage door open (Cheesy name I know) like the taming guide suggested. Within 10 minutes he came out and sat on top of his cage for awhile, He seemed comfortable out and about and soon began to fly around my room I lifted my arm and he landed on my finger and I set him down next to me on my pillow by my shoulder.
After some time he began pecking the pillow playfully and stretching his wings out, tweeting and making happy noises. I reached over and rubbed his head softly a few times over the course of 15 minutes and he seemed comfortable but not fully as he sometimes opened his mouth aggressively and bit sometimes he was slow to step up on my finger and tried to bite but i got him to step up and put him in his cage when he normally flew away when I was ready to put him through his door. I really don't know what else I can do to make him trust me right now, any advice would be nice.

My summary.
He seems ok around me when I don't pay much attention to him, if he does his pecking thing he lets me pet him since I tested it he always bows his head and I got to pet him, he resists sometimes when I try to get him to step up. I can change his food and water just fine he isnt afraid of that but when I try to put my hand in the cage (to put a treat in his cage or fix his ladder, sometimes even see if he trusts my hand) he is scared.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
By the sounds of it, you've got things under control :) It's just a matter of giving Birdy some more time and keep doing what you're doing.

Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the sounds of it, you've got things under control :) It's just a matter of giving Birdy some more time and keep doing what you're doing.

Keep up the great work!
Well I did the same thing today and he wont come out of his cage, I made sure to keep my distance and he wasn't scared or anything...I hope he comes out soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Offer him food from your hand periodically, or sharing whatever your eating with a hungry bird works too just have him step up then bring him to the food he's interested in as the reward trusting your hand.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Millet. Only give it to him when he's out with you. I did this with my skittish one, it took a couple weeks, but he eventually warmed up to me because I had the yummy stuff. I sat next to the cage with millet and let him come to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts