Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.Food
The most annoying thing about cockatiels is that they never eat all the seeds you give them, ad you have to throw them all out.

2.Water
I hate it when my bird gets the water dirty and I have to change it over and over again.

3.Vegetables and fruits
Birds hardly ever eat new vegetables or even fruits. When you buy a whole lot of it for them it just gets all wasted.

4.Cleaning
When it comes to cage cleaning I really hate it. That always feels like the worst part of having a bird.

5.Screaming
When your bird screams you really feel like telling it to shut up. Once I did tell it to shut up when it started screaming in the middle of the night. I felt sorry for it afterwards so I gave it its fav veggie. CHILLIES!

But no matter how annoying our birds are we all still love them more then anything

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Or to me I think you should rethink about having birds because thats what birds do and we have to be prepared to buy enough food for them change their water whenever necessary clean the cages VERY regularly and know that they cant do it themselves they rely totally on us. Oh yes, birds also scream thats a way to communicate , call fir love and attention. Again , please rethink if this is really the option for you Remember We can choise having birds or not Birds have no option they rely totally on the owner . Best of luck X x Teresa

·
Registered
183 Posts
More than problems they should be called annoying things haha

I agree with you in number 1 and 2, but the others are OK for me :)

Edited: I think this post is supposed to be funny, not real problems!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Coming from someone who has a diverse collection of exotic animals, none of these are problems for me. Actually, that's everyday for me. :lol:

I'd say for me, the biggest goof they do is flock call when they can literally see each other in the same room. Some days I'm not sure they think these things through :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
1.Food
The most annoying thing about cockatiels is that they never eat all the seeds you give them, ad you have to throw them all out.

2.Water
I hate it when my bird gets the water dirty and I have to change it over and over again.

3.Vegetables and fruits
Birds hardly ever eat new vegetables or even fruits. When you buy a whole lot of it for them it just gets all wasted.

4.Cleaning
When it comes to cage cleaning I really hate it. That always feels like the worst part of having a bird.

5.Screaming
When your bird screams you really feel like telling it to shut up. Once I did tell it to shut up when it started screaming in the middle of the night. I felt sorry for it afterwards so I gave it its fav veggie. CHILLIES!

But no matter how annoying our birds are we all still love them more then anything
Solution:
1. I throw the leftover seed outside so that the wild birds can finish what my two spoiled brats did not want.
2. How many times a day do you take a glass of water? So, when you take a fresh glass, you replace the tiels' too.
3. I mostly buy those veggies that I know my family and my birds can actually share. That way, no waste :) A bag of romaine lettuce for my dinner, and a few leaves for my birds.
4. No clue on that one, lol. That is my least fav part as well :D
5. There must be a reason why they scream. If everything else fails, get some earplugs, lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1. We feed pellets and offered limited seed either in sprouted form or dry form via a nutriberry. Pellets are all the same so no throwing out certain ones.

2. We use a water bottle and a covered water dish because my tiel from day one would sit in his dishes and poop on them constantly. I also use a very high sided double diner dish to discourage him from perching on the food as well. All the solutions worked out really well.

3. I offer a variety of veggies every week. If they eat it great if they don't no big deal. I tend to buy either frozen, dehydrated and fresh mixes and offer a different one each day. This keeps the trips to the store down and costs down which is a necessity because I can't go shopping except once a week at most anyway due to other responsibilities.

4. You get better and faster at cleaning as time goes on. I use a steamer, a scrub pad and white vinegar. 9 time out of 10 that makes short work of most messes. I also intend to invest in a roomba soon to keep on top of the floor mess since they are constantly dropping feathers, toy parts and food all the time. I spend roughly 20 minutes a day between 3 birds and 2 cages cleaning. IMO that is just about right but I am always looking for short cuts without sacrificing cleanliness.

5. That is a tricky one. Check out some bird training books on how to deal. My tiel usually is very quiet but every once in a long while we go 2-3 days where her out of cage time has to be cut down due to busy schedule (mainly holidays or illness). She tends to get a little squawky when that happens and I can't blame her. Different birds have different screaming triggers so the trick is to figure out why your bird is screaming and then you can go about fixing the problem.

·
Registered
325 Posts
1) measure out how much they eat so your not wasting it. I go through less than half the food my grandma and nice do because they just fill up the dish while I measure it out.
2) I have my birds drink from water bottles. The ones meant for hamsters and such. I fill the bottles up once a day and the water stays clean all day.
3) My birds refuse to eat fresh foods still I offer whatever produce I'm having to them. I just cut up the produce into little pieces after a few hours it gets thrown out.
4) if you can find it useful nature's miracle cage cleaner cuts the time down dramatically. To help reduce floor messes use a covered dish there are now some that your bird has to go into to eat it even has a small perch in there.
5) Make sure there not bored rearrange their cage, but new toys, have a variety of toys.

·
Registered
255 Posts
1.Food

2.Water

3.Vegetables and fruits

4.Cleaning

5.Screaming
1. The wild birds outside love this though. lol

2. They do seem to think of water bowls as their own little toilets. XD I put a few water bowls in the cage in different places, and that helps a bit.

3. Dark leafy greens are what I find the birds can't really resist. That and carrots.

4. Yeah, I don't much like cleaning either. :p I usually take out the bottom tray and spray everything out with the water hose.

5. Mine actually don't scream much :0 ....except in the middle of the night

J

·
0 Posts
Cleaning my tiels cage is SUPER easy for me and takes less than 5 minutes... that's because he is hardly EVER in his cage LOL

At night just put a paper towel underneath his butt and then throw the soiled paper out in the morning.

To me the BIGGEST annoyance for sure is the fact that I always buy fresh spinach/kale for my tiel and he hardly eats any of it! He also used to LOVE sprouts... but now he won't eat sprouts at all!! He went from being "sprout monster"" to nada... very annoying! I plan to starve him to "death" so he will finally get interested in those greens again... <_<

·
Registered
325 Posts
To me the BIGGEST annoyance for sure is the fact that I always buy fresh spinach/kale for my tiel and he hardly eats any of it! He also used to LOVE sprouts... but now he won't eat sprouts at all!! He went from being "sprout monster"" to nada... very annoying! I plan to starve him to "death" so he will finally get interested in those greens again... <_<
Is it possible you accidentally fed him some sprouts that were starting to spoil. That's usually the only reason birds stop eating sprouts.

J

·
0 Posts
Is it possible you accidentally fed him some sprouts that were starting to spoil. That's usually the only reason birds stop eating sprouts.
That's definitely not the case unfortunately. I will keep trying... maybe he'll eventually start eating sprouts again. He LOVES green peas... I will try sprouting a batch for shorter period of time so it looks more like "green beans" as he loves eating the inside of green beans and discarding the shell.

·
Registered
105 Posts
As far as #1 goes, my tiel Obi only eats millet and sunflower seeds. His food has all sorts of other things in it including banana chips, dried carrot, raisins, and dried cranberries. He eats what he likes and throws the big stuff out for the dog to eat. It can get kind of annoying because I want the dog to stop eating bird seed and Obi to be eating healthier. He also refuses to eat vegetables and can't stand fruit. Like others have said, I put leftover bird seed out for wild birds and it is always gone.

I don't mind his noise at all. He thinks that he can talk to velociraptors whenever he hears the noises while we watch Jurassic Park. Watching TV is one of his favorite things to do. Obi's not my only bird, but he remains unimpressed with the finches, so he doesn't talk to them at all.

I also don't mind cleaning bird cages because from my experience, rabbits are way grosser as far as their cages go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts