Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Missy started on her oral meds on the 17th and has been taking them well. (She gets one drop of Baytril in the morning, and one drop of Denamarin in the morning and one in the evening.) Until yesterday morning, she keeps spitting it out immediately afterwards and will "wheeze" or sneeze for a little bit.

I'm doing everything the way the vet showed me and she was doing fine until yesterday morning about taking them. Is it just a fluke? Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible the med went "down the wrong pipe". so to speak? Should I be worried?

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
When I did oral medication with the boys with their bout of AGY, I never had coughing/wheezing. Are you putting the syringe in the left side of her beak?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's normal. When birds don't like the taste of a med, they'll often shake their heads to try to get it out. Some gets up in the sinuses and then they have to sneeze it out since they can't blow their noses like we can. You can try holding her head for a bit longer after giving the meds so she'll be forced to swallow them. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, my birds have had this many many times and it's never been a problem.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I did oral medication with the boys with their bout of AGY, I never had coughing/wheezing. Are you putting the syringe in the left side of her beak?
My right (me facing her), her left - am I doing it wrong?
But (when she's not fighting it) she usually ends up licking it off and the drop ends up going straight to her tongue.

It's normal. When birds don't like the taste of a med, they'll often shake their heads to try to get it out. Some gets up in the sinuses and then they have to sneeze it out since they can't blow their noses like we can. You can try holding her head for a bit longer after giving the meds so she'll be forced to swallow them. But I wouldn't worry too much about it, my birds have had this many many times and it's never been a problem.
I think that's probably what happened. Thank you, and I'll give that a try!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I held her still a moment longer when giving her her drop this evening and she took it well! ^_^ Thank you!!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Glad it helped!

BTW, sometimes this just happens no matter what you do. I've even seen it happen to my vet who has seen birds for 40 years! So don't sweat it if it happens again at some point.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Sounds like she aspirated a bit. This happened once with Lucas. I was a wreck! But she managed to sneeze it all out! It happens unfortunately. As my vet says, it's a risk you have to take in order to get them better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts