Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to look for a more specific place to put this thread but i couldnt find one so hopefully this is ok <3

I wanted to switch one of my birds to this cage I just picked up for free. The change is not essential but this new cage is nice and large with some nice features that I've never had before like a slide top and a door ramp

My problem is that the paint is a little bit old... its doing that powder thing. I scrubbed it with some hot water and it dyed the tips of the brush slightly turquoise. BEFORE i washed it several times, it would get on your hand if you touched it.

Are cages going through this stage of decomposition worth saving? And if so, how? If the paint needs to be replaced, Id rather get rid of it as to not risk me messing it up some how ;c;

Just checking. Like i said, I can do without but it would make a very nice cage if i could save it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would strip the paint to the bare metal and use it or I would re-paint it or re-powdercoat it. Powdercoating is the better choice for obvious reasons. Rattle-can will work but it isn't very durable being likely to chip pretty easily also requiring a long cure time.

A at home traditional method for painting iron cages is in this thread:
http://talkcockatiels.com/archive/index.php?t-33863.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts