Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1581 - 1599 of 1599 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is Attie's huge cage that he gets to live in all by himself. Yes, I left the critter ramps in - he's still unsure about his wings and has trouble getting to the top perches without it. He's been doing more climbing, though, so I'm going to start phasing the ramps out soon. (Please forgive the mess - took these photos after unboxing a few supplies and things weren't sorted yet.) ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all this is a picture of my cage for adult male and female cockatiels. They love the room and toys and the cage door is left opened during the day so they can play on the playgym on the top of the cage. The seed catcher was useless, but a plastic mat under the cage for easy clean up. They love flying on the fake tree next to the cage. Our pet parakeet also loves to play on it when the the cockatiels are inside the cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Amaroq - I would recommend replacing at least some, if not most or all, of those dowel-like perches with more branch-like perches. Straight wood like dowels aren't very good for their feet - perches that have bumps and differences in circumference and various textures are better. And a variety is always good, too. Kirby has some pumice, some branch-like, a rope, and so on. It's fine for them to sit on dowel-like perches every now and then for a little while, but you want to make sure that they're primarily on 'bumpy' perches. Here's some pictures of what I mean:

https://cdn3.volusion.com/uakvg.mdecs/v/vspfiles/photos/BB1FRKSBMNZ-2.jpg

http://largebirdcagesforsale.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Islandwood-Single-Branch-Perch-Small-0.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuId2v8DUl5oNjuMITQ0EeS_TurGJc9rBY1KMclrbpMLkTStmI

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31QTaJNpndL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_eiXrPo3XCyG_SraXh6aaXi0_yNB93-Q1cd7XDxAvzckmfx9U

And so on. Other than that, I always try to arrange Kirby's cage so that poop doesn't fall onto other perches/toys, and to try to have a toy be accessible for each perch. I also always keep one perch in the middle, back of the cage (his general favorite place to hang out during the day), one perch in his favorite spot to sleep, and one by each 'window'. I might change which perches these are, but I keep perches in those spots since he likes them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright, thanks for the advice =). Hard to see in the picture but he has a bumpy calcium perch right infront of his mirror {his favorite spot in the cage.} But i'll definatly get Falnir some new perches.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Many years ago when I got my first tiels I remember reading about the cages they should be in. Apparently because tiels LOVE climbing the recommendation was to have the largest number of bars HORIZONTAL around all four sides of the cage.

Virtually ALL of the latest cages have the most horizontal bars on 2 opposing sides, some front and back, others each side, but the other 2 sides are mostly VERTICAL bars.

Got my baby tiel about 2 weeks ago and sure enough, she's having trouble negotiating the verticals. She's getting better at it but when she holds onto the verticals she slides down

Bird store I got her at basically said it doesn't matter and the bird will get used to it. I have no doubt she will but,,,,,,,,,,,,

What do you guys think about that ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new here and I don't have my cockatiel yet as he is literally in his egg. I use to raise finches and I sold them all but I kept their flight cage and was wondering if it would be ideal for my new cockatiel. I had this set up for my parrotlet, but we are working on bonding and it is just too big for her. Please let me know what you think

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello, I am new here and I don't have my cockatiel yet as he is literally in his egg. I use to raise finches and I sold them all but I kept their flight cage and was wondering if it would be ideal for my new cockatiel. I had this set up for my parrotlet, but we are working on bonding and it is just too big for her. Please let me know what you think
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

What are the cage dimensions? It looks plenty big enough for a cockatiel though. Nice looking cage! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts

new digs, for 7 y/o quack

he seems intrigued so far, but not rushing anything

will let him watch me furnish it in coming days. Have a bunch of stuff coming

not happy with the gap where the two flight cages join

i didn't want to put the mesh base, but it leaves a gap, so i might have to? i've heard horror stories of mesh floors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys - I'm new here! I posted a topic in the housing thread but I've had no replies so I'm hoping more people look on here!

We are getting a pair of cockatiels in a months time and I'd like recommendations for cages that are big enough for the two of them.

Our budget is roughly £100 and any personal experience would be useful!

We are based in the UK but I imagine most brands are accessible worldwide. We had a Vision cage for our last cockatiel but they are super annoying without a slide out tray for cleaning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello
I do not sell anything, but I can help you with choosing a house (habitat) for your pet. I made a comparison of several cells and described it all on my page - bestpetshome

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd love to see what type of cage or aviary you have for your cockatiels! It would be helpful to people looking to set up a cage for a new tiel too! :D

This is mine, it's dimensions are 18"d x 30"w x 33"h.

I have Cookie and Bailee in it and they seem to have lots of space, so both them and me are very happy with it.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts

After seeing other people cages, I’m jealous. Now I want to go bigger.
When my bird gets bigger I’ll upgrade. It’s only 14 wks old right now.

1581 - 1599 of 1599 Posts