Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
261 - 280 of 1601 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Guess it's about time that I posted a pic of the 'tiels new cage (err, I mean castle) that arrived less than a week ago. Prospero and Wren took to it right away and slept in it the first night without any problems. It's so easy to clean compared to that horrible little brass box that they lived in before, I really wish I had got it long ago.

Enjoying an arrowroot cookie on the balcony:

Wren doing his happy dance :D:

I also got some perches for the new set up including a rope and a couple sandblasted manzanita perches which they also love. I want to get rid of that dowl thing and add another rope perch too.

Ah, the things we will do for our 'tiels. :love:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks Bea, I love it too. I've never seen the 'tiels be so willing to go back to their cage after a fly around. Even the budgie likes it when she's allowed inside. I wouldn't normally have got something this fancy, but it had to go in the living room so the Victorian style works much better.

Hi Sophia, it is a huge balcony, but the 'tiels don't seem to want to use it much. lol The top doesn't open up, which is it's only drawback. But that huge storage cupboard at the bottom is just marvelous, so my sister and I finally have our dresser space back! :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
I wouldn't consider the lack of an opening top a drawback. :D They're actually a huge risk, as the perch holding them open could slip and the doors could slam down on a birds neck. Most people i've talked to don't recommend them for this reason and keep the roof closed at all times.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good point Bea, honestly I had envisioned something similar when I first saw those kinds of designs, but thought that I was just paranoid. It's the reason why I went with the closed top/balcony, even if they don't look as cool. Apparently, this kind of design is hard to come by.

Oh yes Plukie birds do require some pretty extensive paraphernalia! Lol

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I put all the tiels in the one cage now, hopefully everything will be okay.

I also finally got some sticks. Mali & Tilly decided to start chewing on the perches and there was not much left of them. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
That looks like a lovely cage for them. Just one thing though, that tassel on the end of the ringed toy, I would cut it off. It is too easy for a bird to get their claws and toes caught in those tassels with horrible consequences, if you're not in the room to rescue them.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
I agree with trimming the tassels on the toy, leave them only about 1" long. I've had a bird get their foot tangled in one and by the time i found her her foot was ice cold and white. Miraculously the circulation came back into her foot and it was ok, but it was a close call!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That cage looks great, and the toys are cool!! :D I once had a toy with tassels on, and Little Bill (my budgie) got his foot caught in it, but luckily I was in the room at the time, so then I took the toy out, and have made another with the wooden blocks that were on it! :p

P.S Little Bill was un-harmed! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is the one my husband built for the 26 cockatiel breeders:

I will take a picture of it filled today!

261 - 280 of 1601 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.