Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering switching about the living arrangements for my birds.

I have 3 cockatiels housed together in a large flight cage. My mother got a Splendid Parakeet, Rio, who is currently housed alone in a flight cage next to the cockatiels. We are hoping to eventually get a friend for Rio, but there are very few of this kind in our area and they get snapped up immediately, so it could be some time.

Now, Denali is extremely interested in Rio. I've always felt somewhat bad for Denali because he so obviously wants a friend, but Pippin has absolutely no interest in other birds and JJ is too self-absorbed. Denali has taken to following Rio around. Rio seems interested in Denali, but is still very young and timid. Denali and Rio have spent some time together in Rio's cage eating together peacefully.

I am considering maybe moving Denali into Rio's cage. But I'm worried about mixing species, even two peaceful species. I wouldn't move Rio into the cockatiel cage because JJ is a bit mean, and while Denali ignores him and Pippin gives as good as she gets, I don't think Rio could handle him. And Denali, Pippin, and JJ clearly have a flock bond, even if they aren't best friends, and so moving Denali to another cage might be a problem. Plus, when/if we get a friend for Rio, Denali may or may not have to move back over to the cockatiel cage. On the other hand, Rio and Denali seem to like each other. So I don't know.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I personally do not mix pairs or species. I keep species in separate cages and I keep pairs in different cages. My exception for the pairs is in the off season I put males in one aviary and females in another. Budgies can be more aggressive than cockatiels who are notorious pushovers in the bird hierarchy. You proceed at your own risk. Budgies (parakeets) can and have permanently injured cockatiels when caged together.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Splendid parakeets are a species of grass parakeets, which are nothing like the infamously aggressive budgies. Believe me, I know--I have 6 of the little monsters!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Splendid parakeets are a species of grass parakeets, which are nothing like the infamously aggressive budgies. Believe me, I know--I have 6 of the little monsters!
Have four myself lol; I have no experience with grass parakeets, couldn't pick them out of a lineup but I heard the name. Never even heard of the splendid variety, but I would probably do the same in this case as a precaution. I have read where grass parakeets are kept with cockatiels but that would just be here-say somebody else might want to take this one...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I personally think you could get away with it. Neither species is particularly powerful. The only grass parrot I would worry about would be red rumps, they can be very irritating when housed in even the largest of other aviaries with other birds

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I had my Bourke’s Parakeet (apparently it is being debated whether they are part of the grass parrots or not, but I think they are) in the aviary with my Cockatiels, and she done great with them – Splendid’s also have a very similar temperament as the Bourke’s do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts