Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some opinions on the wing condition of my cockatiel Lily,
She is an 8 year old cockatiel that I took in from an owner that could not take care of her anymore. Her furthest out primary flight feathers have a tendency to slip out of place and get folded behind her wings. They are not always splayed out like this but the one wing seems to be pretty consistently in this condition. I don't know if this is harmful or benign but I can't imagine it's comfortable for her. But she gets mad at me when I try help her adjust them back into place.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
This is unusual and I haven't seen anything like it before. My best guess is that maybe the flesh in that part of the wing is loose somehow, so the feathers can twist out in odd directions.

Sometimes feathers that have been knocked loose will twist out in odd directions. But loose feathers usually fall out within a day or two - they don't keep sticking out on a regular basis over time.

Cockatiels are big wimps about painful wing feathers, and you hear squawking and see attempts to preen it back into place when a loose feather is bothering them. If she isn't making noise then apparently it doesn't bother her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.