Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey had one of his worst night frights ever last night. He did quite a bit of crashing and thrashing at the bottom of his cage The only thing he could have possibly hit was his water and food dishes, but even those are a bit higher than he was. Once I got him settled, he seemed fine. This morning before we went to work he seemed fine.

When we got home, he seemed fine but has been making occasional squeaking/squealing noises from time to time. He seems to favor his right wing just a bit, but has been preening a lot (he is molting), has done his eagle wings several times, and made other movements that make it look like there is no way it could be broken.

He hasn't flown, but that isn't unusual for him. He is more of a walking on the floor and playing with toys on top of his cage kind of guy, with a few flights a week.

He is preening just fine, eating like his usual piglet self, drinking, his droppings are fine, and he is demanding scritches from tine to time. He hasn't come out of the cage all evening, but he doesn't every day. Some days he is content to play in the doorway.

I called the nearest avian vet, over an hour away for advice. They didn't seem too concerned, with all the details I gave. When I called they were nearing closing time, but said if I felt the need I could take him to the emergency vet. I will if need be, but it is cold and I'd hate to get him out in it if he is okay, then make him ill from the cold.

Is it possible for them to bruise or strain the wing a bit during all the flapping about? He acted in a similar manner after his first huge night fright, minus the squealing noises. They aren't loud or long, but sort of what we'd do if we bumped a tender area.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Poor baby :( he may have knocked some pin feathers a bit out of place. That can make them squeal. Or he could have bruised his wing.

I remember back to when Honey had a bad night fright and ended up with one of her wings caught awkwardly between the cage bars. She screamed and screamed but let me free her wing. She favoured that wing afterward and kept preening it, but soon recovered.

I hope Joey feels better soon. :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poor Honey, when she went through it. I have wondered about pin feathers, because he is currently overloaded with them. When he was demanding scritches the last few days, I worked on some of them on his head and neck.

Thanks, I hope he recovers soon too. He seems to be settled for bed now. I am sure I will sleep lightly tonight, listening for him though.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yes, it's possible. Last year Roo (my perpetual problem-child with vet things...) had a night fright where she got her wing caught between the cage bars. When she was still acting in pain (fluffed up, not interested in toys or food) after 24 hours, I took her to the vet and found out that she had a really nasty bruise and possibly some torn ligaments. The vet put her on metacam, and I actually ended up having to crop feed her because she's very sensitive to stress and will stop eating when anything is wrong. So it certainly is possible to have a wing injury from a night fright.

But, there's basically nothing to be done besides supportive care and time. If Joey is eating and acting relatively normal, then I don't think I'd be too concerned. If it seems like the pain is really bothering him, you might see if the avian vet is willing to consult with a local general vet to get some Metacam prescribed. I hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Oh, Joey, what happened to you?

Maybe you can add some warmth to his cage area (safely) to help him mend - I've found that upping the temperature somewhat seems to help birds who are under the weather.

It's not always so easy to keep temps up around a bird's cage this time of year in the US Midwest where you are, or here in the Northeast, especially overnight when the coldest temps hit, but the added heat seems to help with the healing process of sick/injured birds- especially in Joey's situation if he has some wing issues that have to heal.

The main concern I have with this is to always be mindful of safety and don't do anything that could overheat him or result in fire/electrical overloads. You have to be really careful with supplemental heat sources.

I hope little Joey gets better soon!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would put an eye on him but as you described, he seems fine. Just cuddle him and with time he'll be totally fine!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all the kind words and great advice. We turned the heat up in the living room by a couple degrees to make it a bit warmer in here. (Always a comfortable warmth for him, but added a little extra for a day or two.) He is still favoring the wing a little, but we haven't heard him cry out since being home from work. He sort of did the bird equivalent of a whimper once, but nothing like last night.

He's pooped like a champ today, judging by the paper in his cage, he is still eating like his piglet self, and drinking. He hasn't been out again today, but demanded scritches through the bars the same as last night.

The vet called today just to check on him and I happened to be on lunch and able to take the call. I found that to be quite awesome, because Joey isn't one of his patients, and he has a busy enough practice he doesn't have to work on getting new patients. I will most definitely keep him in mind when I do need a vet, He spoke to me for a good length of time, asking if I noticed any improvement, what to watch for, etc. That is when you know a vet is in it for the love of animals.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Good vets are so amazing! Mine came in on his day off this week just to see Roo, who had to be hospitalized while I was out of town. I wish I could take him with me when I move for residency this summer.

It sounds like Joey is doing well and you're doing all the right things for him. :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good vets are so amazing! Mine came in on his day off this week just to see Roo, who had to be hospitalized while I was out of town. I wish I could take him with me when I move for residency this summer.

It sounds like Joey is doing well and you're doing all the right things for him. :)
It would be great if you could take him with you. :D I am amazed at the difference between last night and today. He seemed better this morning but I was still wishing I didn't have to go to work and leave him. I have the feeling I will actually sleep tonight.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And now he is sitting on top of his cage watching tv. He came out a bit ago, did a bit of walking around, and moonwalking before settling in to watch some tv. Cracks me up, but he walks backward when he is on top of the cage, and now when I ask "are you going to moonwalk for me?" he will walk backward.

The room is decently lit by lamp light, but pictures look a bit dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad he is doing better!

Joey looks like me (except I don't have the crest) - he's glued to the tv, no doubt monitoring reports on the blizzard that's currently in progress to your east over here. :) (You are lucky to be missing out on it in Indiana!)

While I have no place to bring Percy if there's a power failure from the storm, we would have to stay but I do have a small generator to keep the heat going and run a light bulb or two. Hope it doesn't come to that though.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope it doesn't come to that either. Much as I love (and I do mean love snow), I am not upset about missing this one. Mom and dad are about an hour and a half south /slightly east of us, about 25 miles north the Kentucky border, and they got about 4 - 6 inches. We didn't get any snow yesterday.

I suppose you could get out the mousse, hair glue or whatever styling goop you wish, and design yourself a crest. :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hope it doesn't come to that either. Much as I love (and I do mean love snow), I am not upset about missing this one. Mom and dad are about an hour and a half south /slightly east of us, about 25 miles north the Kentucky border, and they got about 4 - 6 inches. We didn't get any snow yesterday.

I suppose you could get out the mousse, hair glue or whatever styling goop you wish, and design yourself a crest. :D
Lol - yeah that would just about do me in - now if they tossed me in an aviary and threw away the key, so to speak, I'd be happy - but it probably wouldn't be an aviary they'd toss me into ;)

I already have Percy's pic all over the place, especially on my cellphone, and get plenty of interesting reactions from people along the way. With my love of cockatiels and talk about how interestng and smart they are I'm not really surprised. Always funny to get ones that look at me with that "now let's just back away slowly and don't make any sudden movements to upset the bird nut" :rofl:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some people have Mohawks, why not a crest? :D

Bird nut. Yep. People will talk about cats and dogs for hours on end, but mention having a bird, and they want to know why you'd want a bird in your house. You must be crazy. Birds aren't real pets.... So then you explain the talking, singing and intelligence and people seem a bit more politely interested.

I'm quite content with being a bird nut who posts millions of bird pics on FB and Instagram and has a phone clogged with bird pics.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Joey had a bit of a fly just a bit ago. I think it is safe to say he is going to be fine. Phew! He still favored the wing a tiny bit this morning, but by this afternoon he seemed to have forgotten about it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Some people have Mohawks, why not a crest? :D

Bird nut. Yep. People will talk about cats and dogs for hours on end, but mention having a bird, and they want to know why you'd want a bird in your house. You must be crazy. Birds aren't real pets.... So then you explain the talking, singing and intelligence and people seem a bit more politely interested.

I'm quite content with being a bird nut who posts millions of bird pics on FB and Instagram and has a phone clogged with bird pics.
Some seem to think your interest in a bird (especially the little ones) is about as sensible as having a cactus you think is your friend :) But they do usually take notice when you talk about birds' intelligence, attachment to people, etc.- at least, as you say, they may be politely attentive even for a moment. Reactions are amusing.

I'm glad Joey is doing better - any ideas on cutting his night fright episodes? I usually increase room lighting to deal with this when it's a problem. So far that's worked for me - and the birds sleep just fine and seem calmer since the light lets them see that nothing's creeping up on them.

As for our storm - we did get a couple of feet of snow (a lot for us considering weather here is moderated by the ocean) and there were high winds but the power (and therefore the heat) remained on the whole time. This was our first snow of the season so there was no easing into it this winter.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, reactions are usually very amusing. :D

He doesn't have many night frights at all, and they are usually caused by a loud noise in the night. The first one was when the shampoo caddy (suction cupped to the shower wall) fell. This last one was caused by our London Underground map poster (55in by 39in) coming loose from the wall. We had it on the living room wall, about 4 feet from his cage. It was rather securely held by poster putty, but decided it didn't want to be on the wall anymore. It is down now, and will stay down until we find a better way of hanging it.

He flew more yesterday than he has in ages. I'd say he is mended. :D

I've seen some coverage of the snow in your area. Impressive amounts. Glad you kept your electricity and heat, That is always the big worry.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad the little boy is back to himself. It's good that he seldom has night frights and the ones you mentioned are accidental. If he's in his cage and one of those 'triggers' happened, he'd probably thrash just the same - can't be helped.

I really bought the generator for Percy's sake. If the power goes off it could get chilly very quickly for him; it would take an extended outage lasting many hours (not likely to happen) for it to get cold enough in here to pose a frozen pipe threat or to lose food in the refrigerator. With the heat quickly restored and some light near his cage, I'm basically set for the important one (Percy). Also, I've noticed that the power is much more reliable since repairs were made to the power grid after storm Sandy did so much damage in 2012. That's the upside of an otherwise disastrous storm.

Hooray for Joey! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts