Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Charlie got his nails trimmed and wings clipped at the vets today. He can still fly, but not like he used to be able to, and when he took off today he flew around a bit struggling to get height and then landed with a small thump. I think he might have sprained his foot, because when he sits he pulls the left one up towards him.

However, he does still sometimes stand on the two of them, and can walk on them both. I can't tell if there's a limp, but I see no obvious swelling. Right now he's sitting preening himself with both feet planted on the play gym, so I'm thinking that he just hurt it a little.

Should I be worried or take him back to the vet? Is there anything in particular I should do/watch out for? He looked personally offended when he found himself on the ground and not up high, I felt awful, and now his poor foot is sore!

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
It's possible that his foot feels a bit sore from the nail trimming rather than a hard landing. Birds have nerves and blood vessels in their toenails, and if the nail is cut too short it can lead to bleeding and pain. The bleeding usually stops pretty quickly but the pain takes a little longer to go away. If this was my bird I'd keep an eye on him, but not take him back to the vet unless the problem persists.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts