Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off - Hello everyone :)

I don't know if anyone remembers me but I haven't been on in a very very long time.
I have a female pearl tiel & her name is Hank. I've had her since 2012.
She was being super hormonal last week..complete floozey. I even had to take out large perches in her cage because she was resorting to rubbing against even that...that was a new one
So my concern is her vent area initially started out a bit swollen(assuming from rubbing against everything and everything). Her droppings have been loose-ish/not fully falling(not massive just normal size and color).
She's calmed down a bit. The last few days I noticed her vent area swollen/she's still straining a bit. She had a little bit of a bulge by her butt.
Her posture isn't normal. It's a bit hunched like her tail is pointing straight down. She's a bit quieter(not much) than usual. 2 days ago she was looking for a nesting spot hardcore. Even went into her cage on the bottom with a nasty attitude- she only goes in her cage at night to sleep or if she HAS to.

Currently she's eating, flying around, drinking like she normally does. It's just the bulge/butt issue. Does anyone know if it could be egg related? Injury? Or something else? Already started hormone control days ago, she eats fresh veggies/fruits
She's a single tiel/my little spoiled brat. Never laid an egg before. Obviously she'll go to a vet but seeing that it's a Sunday and her avian vet isn't open I just wanted some opinions

I'll attach some pics also I have 2 videos...I apologize in advance for the mess Sunday is cleaning day...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Might be an egg, especially with the vent being swollen. What's her sleeping like?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She seems a bit more tired than usual especially in the morning whereas she normally would be going nuts chirping
she does fly around a lot and chirp still throughout the day but she still seems a bit more mellow. Prefers to hang out on me a bit more
Still eating, drinking, preening(butt area a bit more)

I know someone whose cockatiel passed away from being eggbound so I'm super paranoid about it. she's never laid an egg before. :(

Is there anything that would mimic an egg?
Should I get anything supplemental just in case..she eats seed, nutriberries, and fruits/vegetables. Other than that mineral block, which she's been destroying a lot more.
Also would you happen to know how long does it take from when it forms until she would lay it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts