Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Eveyone, I am new to the Forum. I have two cockateils Max (4 yrs) and Luke (8 mts).When i bought Luke at the pet store they boxed him immediatly. I wasn´t able to see him untill we got home. I noticed that there was something wrong with the toe that is normally held to the back. Sometimes he would hold it unter the front toe. Sort of bent under. After reading online about amputated toes and such. I decieded to wait a Little and see what happened. There are times when Luke holds all toes properly. Well I´ve have him now three weeks and I took him to a small animal vet. She gave me an antiinflamation medication. Which i have been giving to him everyday. I have also schedualed an appointment with an avian vet next Saturday. Could it be a birth defect? If it was broken how long does a broken toe take to heal. If the vet has to put him to sleep to take x-rays could he die in the process? These are my first birds so excuse me being wet under the feathers. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks to everyone in advance....in free flight Luke´s Mamma

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hi and welcome, yes he could of been born with it or it could of been broken, if you have had him for 3 weeks already then I would not worry about it if it is not bothering him. Anytime a bird goes under for a procedure there is the risk of them not waking up, this is not something I would personally put one of my birds under for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts