Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Obi for a year now, and he loves to get out of the cage and ride on my shoulder everywhere. The thing is, I can only handle him when I'm wearing gloves because he has like this unnatural dislike of fingers. He actually sat on my bare hand for a minute before he remembered that hands have fingers attached to them. He hates being touched anywhere. You can't even brush against the end of his tail without him making a huge fuss about it. Is it possible that he was abused in his first home? Or is it more from just not being handled like he should have been early on? I know that the people I bought him from were lovebird breeders who just didn't have the time that he needed, since they were so busy with baby birds. But they got him from someone else when he was one. I don't know what that home was like for him.

That's what makes me so sad. He's 3 years old now, and he's spent a year each in 3 different homes. Luckily for him, I plan on keeping him for the rest of his life!

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You can slowly get him used to your hands by gradually removing more and more of the glove to expose your hand. Soon, he won't even notice when he is perching on your hand. You have to be very slow. This whole process can take a months time. Maybe more, maybe less. It depends on the bird. By him perching on the glove shows he has great potential to getting used to your hand. You just need patients.

I don't recommend doing things like brushing his tail with your hand. It will just reinforce that skin is scary. I know it's probably an accident though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the brushing against his tail is all accidental. It only happens if I'm reaching in to change his water and he's perched above it, he turns around on my shoulder when I'm reaching up for him to step up, etc. Then it's kind of unavoidable.

I will definitely start working on training him! Your tips are really helpful!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello JediBird. There are plenty of great tips for getting tiels used to human hands and fingers on this site. Here's a good one to start: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=113153

I agree with Haimovfids, gradually move a bit of the glove off each time you handle him until he gets used to your hand is a great idea! Encourage with food or his favourite toy (or in my tiel's case, paper lol).

All birds are naturally nervous of people. Being handled, stroked and touched is very unnatural for a bird. Kiki is tame but does not liked being stroked, so I respect her personal space. But be patient and keep trying, don't give up. You'll get there. The fact he is comfortable with you getting near you on sitting on your hand with a glove on shows great promise.

Don’t worry I don’t think he’s been badly treated. He just hasn’t had a lot of contact with people, so he is a bit nervous of the unknown.

I would recommend putting your hand near the cage to get him used to you. He will realise hands aren't scary, maybe hold a treat or rearrange the toys in his cage. Whenever I introduce Kiki to someone or something new, I entice her with treats and usually nothing gets in the way of Kiki and her food lol!

Good luck and keep us informed :)

-Foobzy and Kiki-

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He'll eat stuff I give him through the bars of the cage no problem. He doesn't like toys, so I'll just have to stock up on millet sprays I guess!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts