Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was doing target training with her but I was trying to get her to step up on a perch she was scared and flew and obviously hit something because she cracked her beak and the tip of it broke off and its bleeding poor thing but I think the bleeding stopped but its still in her beak.I never knew they had blood in their beak.She stepped up on my hand and I put her on her stand.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If she is bleeding from her beak you need to take her to the vet. The beak is filled with blood vessels too, and he needs to check her out right away.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If she is bleeding from her beak you need to take her to the vet. The beak is filled with blood vessels too, and he needs to check her out right away.
The bleeding stopped but its like theres dry blood inside her beak and shes trying to remove it.The nearest Avian vet is very far from me and its night.My mam is gonna get a bird aid kit for any future injuries any idea what sort of stuff we will need to put in it Cornstarch etc.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
She needs to be seen by a vet first thing in the morning. Beak injuries are always emergencies, because they can affect the bird's ability to eat, and if they are not properly treated, there can be permanent damage. It's good that the bleeding stopped, but that doesn't mean that everything is okay.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She needs to be seen by a vet first thing in the morning. Beak injuries are always emergencies, because they can affect the bird's ability to eat, and if they are not properly treated, there can be permanent damage. It's good that the bleeding stopped, but that doesn't mean that everything is okay.
Shes not eating anything not even her favourite strawberries I didnt try spoon feeding her.we dont have a travel carrier for her because it broke ill tell my mam the information you gave me.My mam said the nearest Avian vet is in bray which isnt too far from us but I think we have to get a train Tiko has never been out of the house before.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also my mam dosent get paid until thursday and has to pay car insurance and get stuff for when we got back to school.What to vets do if you dont have the money.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Some vets will allow a payment plan. But, as various people have pointed out before, they may or may not do it if it's your first visit. Which is why it's important to have an established relationship with a vet prior to an emergency occurring.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She started talking again and has calmed down if she isnt eating by tommorow shes going to the vet.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I hope Tiko will be allright. A beak injury sounds painful.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My kakariki damaged his beak in a door. The vet administered a painkiller and an anti-inflamatory and he was ok in a few hours. He couldn't eat at all before that and I thought it was terminal. That vet is my hero now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts