Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yeah. Fuzz Ball's slow crop is NOT improving, so I'm calling the vet tomorrow. I thought they were closed weekends. Turns out it's just Sunday they're closed. **Cheers** They're usually very fast when it comes to seeing birds, so if I don't see a vet tomorrow, I'll be seeing one on Saturday for sure.

I think I've figured out what the cause of the problem is. The brooder is too cold so the baby isn't getting the heat they need to digest. I have a new brooder with a new heat mat. It's bigger than the old brooder and the heat mat is smaller, so as a result it is colder than my old one. I've got a hot water bottle in there and a sock filled with rice so that when one gets cold, the other is still warm. Baby is cuddled against the sock. Poor thing :(

And a crying baby cockatiel is utterly heart wrenching to hear. The poor guy needs to see a vet ASAP.

EDIT TO ADD: Despite the slow crop, he's pooping good. A little bit too much water when I try to hydrate him, but otherwise things are working on THAT end!

Here's Fuzz during medicine time. Excuse the Formula face:

IMG_2789 by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aww! Poor Fuzz. Best of luck at the vet's and please keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww! Poor Fuzz. Best of luck at the vet's and please keep us updated! :)
I got in super fast. I'm to be at the vets in an hour! Here's to hoping things clear up :(

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I'm back! The prognosis isn't good. There's hope, but the prognosis isn't good.

First the vet threw a small fit (one of several) that I'd pulled Fuzz from the nest at 12 days. She insisted that they be pulled at 21 days. She then told me that Fuzz's problem was probably caused by the change from the parent's diet to hand feeding. It screwed up Fuzz's digestion and caused the slow crop. Then the spice mix added to things just made things worse.

She told me to stop using the spice mix. (Cue Vet fit number two)

She also said that because Fuzz is so young, she was not going to perform a crop flush. Plus she'd never performed a crop flush on a baby so young. Instead she injected the baby with a gut motility med. If that didn't work, Fuzz was to come in and they'd do a crop flush. Or try to. (Cue vet fit number three)

I'm to put Fuzz back in with his parents if the motility med worked and see if they'll take him in again. I'm to keep trying. If he won't be accepted, I'm to not use the brand of food I'm using and use the Harrison's Juvenile food she gave me. Then Fuzz is on antibiotics twice a day for 10 days.

So yeah. Poor kid is in rough shape :(

Oh... and the last fit the vet had was over Fuzz's parents not being tested for diseases before they were bred. She said that's probably why their two other eggs didn't hatch.... and could be why Fuzz is sick. THIS reasoning, especially about Fuzz's parents, I totally disagree with because I've been breeding birds a freaking long time and the first clutch is always tiny. But anyways :p I'll clam up now or you'll never hear the end of the subject, LOL. Fuzz got help and that's what matters.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow, sounds like you got reamed good! :( What type of formula were you using? Why did you pull him that young? Although I don't see how that made him sick... Anyhow I hope he gets better.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, sounds like you got reamed good! :( What type of formula were you using? Why did you pull him that young? Although I don't see how that made him sick... Anyhow I hope he gets better.
I was using Tropican handfeeding formula. Just about everyone in my parrot club uses it with good results. I pulled the baby at 12 days because it was advised by my research that a good time to pull babies was when their eyes were just starting to open/feathers were starting to come in. Well, that and at 3-4 weeks of age. So I thought I was gonna try the younger of the two suggestions. :)

The good news is that he's doing SO MUCH BETTER! Wiggly, bright eyed and the crop seems to have emptied most of its contents. :) **Does a happy happy dance**

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Tropican handfeeding formula is popular with cockatiel show breeders so it must get good results. The formula that they tell you to avoid is Higgins Intune because cockatiel chicks don't do very well on it. There are some species that do fine on it but not cockatiels.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
By any chance is your vet a fanatic about organic food? Because that's really the main difference between Harrisons and the other brands.

My pellet article at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-misc-pellets.html has a chart at the very bottom comparing the nutrients in several handfeeding formulas. The only brand that provides complete information is Mazuri, but there's some info for Tropican and Harrisons. Harrisons does have higher amounts of some nutrients, but they're all expected to get the job done.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I was using Tropican handfeeding formula. Just about everyone in my parrot club uses it with good results. I pulled the baby at 12 days because it was advised by my research that a good time to pull babies was when their eyes were just starting to open/feathers were starting to come in. Well, that and at 3-4 weeks of age. So I thought I was gonna try the younger of the two suggestions. :)

The good news is that he's doing SO MUCH BETTER! Wiggly, bright eyed and the crop seems to have emptied most of its contents. :) **Does a happy happy dance**
I will be using Zupreem embrace plus... I used kaytee last time but I don't like Kaytee as a brand.. I just think it is lower quality. I have also heard a lot about failure to thrive on Kaytee. I am going to pull my chicks around 3 weeks or so... So very happy to hear he is doing better... As for the spices I have heard them recommended many times but never had to use them.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ANOTHER UPDATE!

CROP IS EMPTY! The medications worked! Vet said to put Fuzz Ball back with their parents and so far we have success! Mom went right in and sat on them, LOL. Now just to watch for rejection....

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Ah, of course she suggested Harrison's.. same with my vet. Even though they also sell Vetafarm, my vet always pushes that I switch to Harrison's. So, I feed both but my 'tiels like Vetafarm better. :p

That's great news that the meds worked! Yay Fuzz! :clap:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am glad you got some treatment for him and that its working! However getting chewed out by the vet is somewhat bad...but the important thing is the fuzzy bub is doing better! Keep it up fuzzy :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am so glad Fuzz is doing better! What a jerk of a vet though. I really hate vets like that. We go to them for help, not to be chewed out about everything. Offer advice and alternatives, sure, but there's no need to be a jerk about it.

When I took Zoe to the vet at 6 weeks I mentioned that i'd been worried about her crop a couple of times over the weeks, and she showed me how to do a crop flush. Not on Zoe because she didn't need it at the time (and didn't need it in future thank goodness), but she had a 9 day old cockatiel chick that was actually due for a crop flush so she used him to show me how to do it. It's REALLY easy and I really think it's something that every breeder should find out how to do just as emergency knowledge.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
By any chance is your vet a fanatic about organic food? Because that's really the main difference between Harrisons and the other brands.

My pellet article at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/nutrition-misc-pellets.html has a chart at the very bottom comparing the nutrients in several handfeeding formulas. The only brand that provides complete information is Mazuri, but there's some info for Tropican and Harrisons. Harrisons does have higher amounts of some nutrients, but they're all expected to get the job done.
Thank you! I'll take a look at it right away :)

I heard Fuzzy getting fed about 10 minutes ago. Not a sign of rejection from mom and dad :)

EDIT TO MENTION:
I was wrong. They shoved baby to the side and are ignoring Fuzzy. Pulled baby for hand feeding and warmth. Poor kid was frozen. Going to try sticking him with mom and dad tomorrow. If I left them with mom and dad, kid would have died during the night!!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's a pity the vet was so judgemental and critical, it doesn't inspire confidence to go back in the future. Perhaps the vet hasn't had much hands on experience with tiels, her comments sound more like they are out of a text book or from a sales rep

1 - 20 of 30 Posts