Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately before falling asleep my 12 year old tiel, Cali, has been climbing down to the bottom of his cage to chew on his poop!

He eats a healthy pellet diet (Harrison's) with some chia and flax seeds mixed in, and gets leafy greens and other fruits and veggies. He also has two different cuttle bones, one plain and one flavored.

I clean out the bottom of his sleeping cage before he goes in to make sure there's no poop he can get to, but he somehow manages to find some to crunch on or spends 20 minutes trying to find some if he can't.

I've tried giving him new toys and new foraging toys, but it's not seeming to work.

Any ideas or tips??

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
You say he eats pellets, but does he have a wide option of seeds available to him? If not, small birds like tiels need seed in their diet. Eating poop can be a sign of boredom, but most of the time when birds eat poop it is because of a diet deficiency

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds like he has a nice diet, but CaliTiels is right coprophagy (eating poop) can be a sign of dietary deficiency or boredom. It can also be a simple habit, as I've read elsewhere on this forum (can't recall where - sorry!). Maybe try mixing the diet up a bit to find the right balance of pellets/seeds/other? I find Lafeber's nutriberries (seeds, pellets and vitamin paste) to be very good and the birds love them. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can tell you exactly what deficiencies coprophagy indicates...?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Pickles was eating his poop when I first got him home. I changed his seed mix from what the bird lady was using to another and increased the amount. He no longer is drawn to his poop.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Yes cockatiels should have a good mix of seed too some companies give you free samples of food like [email protected] email them and they will give you all sorts of food like nutriberries,Avicakes and other treats your bird will like I emailed them today to try them out.Rocko gets 95% organic ingredients pellets and a good seed mix and maybe some veg and fruit he dosent really like fruit much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the advice! I started adding more seed options so we shall see if there is a change! If not, I'll try a totally new diet to see if maybe he's just bored with his old food, and and another toy to his cage in case he's just bored before bed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts