Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Everytime I go past Earl and Little Bills cage, there is always poo in the water bowl!:thumbd:

So I am always changing it! :rolleyes:

I think it is Little Bill, but why would he want to poo in the water, I don't see him sitting on the side of the water bowl very often, and Earl doesn't sit on it either.

I also put boiling water in the bowl, before I change it, too kill any germs!

Is this un-hygienic, that there is always poo in the watet?

Thanks Sophia x

·
Registered
581 Posts
lol... i think its normal... i reckon they aim it right in there!
i am constantly changing water bowls... i try to put the water as high as possible with nothing 'climbable' over the top ;)

been thinking for a while about making little 'balconies' to go over the top of the water bowls, so even if they sat and poo'd off the edge, it wont go in...
the other thing is water gravity feeders with tiny openings, or drip bottles, like bunnys and ratties use...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not only is there always poo in it, sometimes they have a bath in it. But when I give them a dish at the bottom of the cage they drink out of it but don't bath. They must be getting very mixed up! :wacko:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Lol.
That happens with me too constantly running around changing water!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
My budgies did that..all too often so I was changing the water more then 3 times a day. What ended up being the problem is that they were sitting too close to it on the perch that was by the water bowl so I moved it over a little. It's best to place their water in a slightly higher places so less droppings are falling in and away from a perch. Until then, keep changing it. My budgies also bathe in their water dish and not in their "bath tub"-just make sure to change it after they do that.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are no perches, above or near the water bowl, Little Bill sits on the side about twice a day, but not all day. :p

BTW- I can't move the water bowl because the holder is attached to the cage! :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Mine do that to Sophia :rolleyes: I am not sure who is doing it, the water bowl is up at the highest point and there are no perches around it so go figure...lol I have to change it a few times a day its gross but what are you going to do, I wish I could just say alright now who is doing that and have them answer me :p

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be much easier if they could answer, then you could tell them to stop it, but a talking cockatiel, a whistling one is enough for me ! :lol:

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
there is always poo in my birds water dish, even the one's with the lids on it, I still don't know how it gets in those ones, i guess the birds on top the cage just hit it right lol

i have only found one way that stops it, but i gotta get more boards lol

I had some shower board left over and it was cut out in a L shape and i sat it on top of the cage over top of the food / water dishes and there's no more poo in those ones, but the cages that the tops have nothing on them still got poo in it

but since my birds hang out on top of the cages all day long I can only use the "L" shape cut pieces other wise they'd be slidding all over the shower board and not have anything to wrap thier toes around when they'd stand ontop of a cage

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Are all the dishes attatched? Is there one lower and away from the perch that you can switch out and put water in that one instead? I'm thinking since they like sitting on the dish, (in a high place) they'll be less likely to perch on it if it's lower.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are circles welded onto the sides, that the bowls fit into. There are two on one side, one for budgie seed and one for cockatiel seed.

Then there is one on the opposite side that has the water in. All three are at the same level, and if I swapped the water for one of the food bowls, it would be worse because the food bowls have a perch infront of them!

:D Thanks Sophia

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Spike has not had that problem yet. I would swap the dishes around mabey with a perch in front of the dishes, they will sit on it instead of the dishes. Its worth a try to see what happens. Spike has a perch in front of his dishes and they are low in the cage. Nothing is above them though. He does always seem to get seeds in his water dish though :rolleyes: even though the seed dish is on the other side of the cage.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spike has not had that problem yet. I would swap the dishes around mabey with a perch in front of the dishes, they will sit on it instead of the dishes. Its worth a try to see what happens. Spike has a perch in front of his dishes and they are low in the cage. Nothing is above them though. He does always seem to get seeds in his water dish though :rolleyes: even though the seed dish is on the other side of the cage.
That is a good idea, but if I changed one of the seed dishes for the water bowl, there is a perch infront of the food dishes, but not one infrint of the water bowl, and there is no space to put a perch infront of the water bowl, so even if I did swap them they would then have to get on the side of the food bowl, then probably poo on the seed! :D

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
It might be easier to clean ;) Mabey you could fit a long perch under the water dish and the bit that sticks out they can sit on. Or just get two more water dishes so it will be super fast to change :p

G

·
Is it alright to have a water drip container? It is on the outside of Joey's cage by his food and he just laps it up - no poo problem. What is the benefit of having a water pool in the cage???

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Some birds are use to drinking from water bowls :) And others know that the drip water container is where the water is. If I used one in Spikes cage, I don't think he would understand what it is and would get very thirsty.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
i've had perches in front of all my food and water dishes and my birds still perfer to perch on the dish they're eating or drinking out of --- Crazy bunch of birds i tell ya They even sleep on the edge of the dishes at time LOL

but since i've blocked off the top of the cages where the food/water dishes are there is no more poo in them, and i've got them up high enough they can only sit on the dish with thier buts facing the outside of the dish they can't get turned around or go to any other side of the dish to climb on it and sit with thier butts rigt over the dish - that's helped alot too at least with the tiels in the breeding cages but the community cages, the budgies still get in side the dishes, and can pretty much fit any where but as long as i've got something going over the top of the cage covering the area of the dishes, i don't find poo in thier dishes no more :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts