Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a female cockatiel (aged 8) that suddenly exhibited polyurea / polydipsia over a year ago. Though she has not lost weight, the droppings are very loose and frequent, and once in the cycle, doesn't seem to stop. Her blood tests have come back clean, and our avian vet just thinks it's behavioral. The only thing different about our bird is we give her lupron shots maybe 2-3 times a year to suppress her egg laying to avoid having a shell caught in her (like one almost did 7 years ago).

Does anyone have a thought to what is causing this mystery?

Evan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not an expert and don't want to scare you but from 2 experiences (1 past, 1 current), I would say (in my limited experience) this: if it's a day or two, or even once or twice a day, no big deal. If it is persistent, chronic and accompanied by dramatic increase in thirst, it is a sign of kidney trouble. Could be something toxic, in which case there is a list of herbs that are very helpful in clearing out the kidney (applies to birds as well) ... but it could also be a sign of something more serious that is interfering with the kidney's ability to function. My suggestion: keep a log and be mindful over the next few days ... even it it resumes to normal, keep the log around in case it returns; keep track of weight daily using a digital cooking scale; note how droppings look in morning (white paper towels under the bird help a lot), throughout the day - i.e. how many loose droppings. Also, is it just a lot of urine or is the Urate watery too (the white part should be chalky and clearly defined). If it is persistent you can go to a vet or local humane society clinic and try an x-ray/ultra sound while will give you an idea if a tumor is the cause either directly or because it's pressing on the kidney. But for now just start keeping track so you can clearly see a pattern. When you're stressed it's easy for a week or two to seem like a few days and each requires a different course of action. Hope that helps a wee bit. DRAMATIC INCREASE IN THIRST IS USUALLY FIRST AND THEN FOLLOWED BY DRAMATIC SUDDEN WEIGHT LOSS. After this comebacks are rare. I know it's hard to address it but constant monitoring will help you make timely, if not 100% right decisions. Good luck to you and yours.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts