Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a female cockatiel around 9 months old and still she does not whistle and sticks on to her same sound. How long does it take for her to whistle?

Am i missing anything?

Pls advice.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
It's the boy tiels who do most of the singing. To get a mate, they have to put on a show for the hen while she judges the performance. Female cockatiels don't usually sing, and when they do sing they don't sound as good as the boys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the problem with her then, She likes to cuddle inside my hand while i scratch all over her. Thanks allot for your reply :)

Now i can remember that male are the singers and female are the cuddly fellows..

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Males can be cuddly too :) the cuddliest 'tiel in my flock is a boy. Your girl sounds like a sweetie :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Males can be cuddly too :) the cuddliest 'tiel in my flock is a boy. Your girl sounds like a sweetie :)
Thanks allot :) yeah she is a darling, dnt know whether shes thinking me as her mate and some times she eats only after i put my hand inside her bowl too. Its kind of amazing how they interact.

Wish i had a male tiel like yours too...

Have fun...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I have a make cockatiel who is about 11 months old now. We have had Hanson about 2.5 months and he is a hoot... He usually sleeps through the morning, get up and eat and then in and out of conciseness ��.. I spend all my home time in the kit/dining rm after I get home Andy he is in here with me he is never alone until bedtime, now my question is: why does he sing, yelp, scream, chirp sometimes nonstop? He will get so agetated that he would rip his toys head off if it had one ��. Why? Is this normal? Is this a young stage thing?Do they grow out of it? Helthey grow out of it? ������❤

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello! I have a make cockatiel who is about 11 months old now. We have had Hanson about 2.5 months and he is a hoot... He usually sleeps through the morning, get up and eat and then in and out of conciseness ��.. I spend all my home time in the kit/dining rm after I get home Andy he is in here with me he is never alone until bedtime, now my question is: why does he sing, yelp, scream, chirp sometimes nonstop? He will get so agetated that he would rip his toys head off if it had one ��. Why? Is this normal? Is this a young stage thing?Do they grow out of it? Helthey grow out of it? ������❤
Firstly, hello there and welcome to the forum!

Secondly, starting your own thread will get your post more views and replies so if you can do that from now on that would be great. :)

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your Hanson to be honest! Cockatiels are noisy, chattery, active and social birds by nature so it really is a good sign and not abnormal. I'd be very worried if instead he was sitting in the corner of his cage doing nothing and not making a sound.

Is Hanson hand tame? Does he have plenty of shreddable/chewable toys and perches to keep himself busy? Do you let him out of his cage for exercise and to burn off his excess energy?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
whistle

My previous cockatiel was a female and she would chirp loudly if I whistled to her. One whistle she did learn was the "wolf whistle." If I did the first part, she would respond with the second part. She was a snuggler, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My previous cockatiel was a female and she would chirp loudly if I whistled to her. One whistle she did learn was the "wolf whistle." If I did the first part, she would respond with the second part. She was a snuggler, too.
Really happy to hear about it, thanks it gives me hope at least my one will try to learn one or two whistle too thanks again for the good news :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts