Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Kimchee :pearl: 3 1/2 months ago. (Tamed) and I can't tell if she is molting or plucking. How can I tell the difference? Feathers have been coming out since the beginning of the month when I left for 10+ hours a day for three days. Maybe she got stressed? But there are new pin feathers coming in.

Also one more problem. She has a bald spot on her chest but she always has since I got her and her feathers just started coming out. You can only see the bald spots of you part the feathers. I'm very worried Here is a picture of the chest before I parted it.....
image.jpg
Did it add the picture? This is my first post. :pearl:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hi, and welcome!
It is probably moulting or you would "see" her plucking I think. There are usually many feathers around during moulting and tiels are a bit stressed and tired. Have you noticed any of these signs?

Do you mean the crease in the middle of the chest when you mention the bald spot? It is normal when cockatiels are a bit overweight. There is a cockatiel in our banner with a crease in the middle of the chest too. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and welcome!
It is probably moulting or you would "see" her plucking I think. There are usually many feathers around during moulting and tiels are a bit stressed and tired. Have you noticed any of these signs?

Do you mean the crease in the middle of the chest when you mention the bald spot? It is normal when cockatiels are a bit overweight. There is a cockatiel in our banner with a crease in the middle of the chest too. :)
Well I see her picking at herself but I think she is itching. She has been taking more naps than normal. Yes I mean the crease. I never thought I'd say this but I'm glad she's over weight. I thought she had a serious health problem. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sounds like she's molting and she'll be chewing on the itching pin feathers. If she'll let you, lots of scritches are encouraged. You can try giving her mist baths, as these can also be soothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts