Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I bought a lutino, Maisy, from a bird expo. She did seem a little unwell when I put her in the aviary but I thought it was just her being overwhelmed, since she had a busy day. Today I noticed signs of her being ill. She slept a lot, barely moved around and was always puffy. Could somebody give me advice on what to do? I’ve already separated her and Halo just in case it is infectious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a temperature difference between two place? I had a similar experience where the bird was kept in hot atmosphere in pets market. When I brought her into a centralized A/C environment, she became sick. Initially she was dull, then she was sleeping a lot. Droppings were watery and eventually she died.

Later I bought a hand fed cockatiel from a Central A/C home. He/She is doing good.

·
Registered
666 Posts
What kind of condition was she in when you bought her? What was her cage like? Were there others in the same cage? If so, how did they look? Was she on the bottom or on a perch? Did you manage to see whether there was food or water in there? If so, how much or was it dirty? Does she have access to any food or water right now? Is she on the bottom of the aviary or siting on a perch?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Firstly always quarantine new birds could be a virus , your bird could be an old breeding bird take to vet and only buy from reputable breeder , oversized birds should always be scrutinized as not normal good luck hope she recovers 🐦🐦

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a temperature difference between two place? I had a similar experience where the bird was kept in hot atmosphere in pets market. When I brought her into a centralized A/C environment, she became sick. Initially she was dull, then she was sleeping a lot. Droppings were watery and eventually she died.

Later I bought a hand fed cockatiel from a Central A/C home. He/She is doing good.
Sorry for the late reply. I think it was a temperature difference, like you suggested. Luckily, she is doing okay now. She could also be homesick. Thanks so much for your reply <3

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of condition was she in when you bought her? What was her cage like? Were there others in the same cage? If so, how did they look? Was she on the bottom or on a perch? Did you manage to see whether there was food or water in there? If so, how much or was it dirty? Does she have access to any food or water right now? Is she on the bottom of the aviary or siting on a perch?
Sorry for the late reply. She did have ruffled feathers and she seemed uncomfortable. I assumed it was from all the noises of the other birds in the expo. She was in a smallish cage with another lutino her age, a male. They looked mostly the same. She was sitting on the perch with the male (who wasn’t her partner). Yes, there was food and water supplied in the cage. It was clear and full, probably suggesting they didn’t eat or drink because of stress. At first, she was at the bottom of the cage for about an hour until I put a perch up leading to another perch, and she climbed up onto that. She also couldn’t fly. Don’t worry, Maisy is doing fine now. Thanks very much for your suggestion <3

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. She did have ruffled feathers and she seemed uncomfortable. I assumed it was from all the noises of the other birds in the expo. She was in a smallish cage with another lutino her age, a male. They looked mostly the same. She was sitting on the perch with the male (who wasn’t her partner). Yes, there was food and water supplied in the cage. It was clear and full, probably suggesting they didn’t eat or drink because of stress. At first, she was at the bottom of the cage for about an hour until I put a perch up leading to another perch, and she climbed up onto that. She also couldn’t fly. Don’t worry, Maisy is doing fine now. Thanks very much for your suggestion <3
I'm glad she's doing much better now! 😊

1 - 12 of 12 Posts