Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey can anyone help me? I just bought 2 cockatiels and this is my first time rearing a bird...so i don't really have any experience. Anyway, they are doing pretty fine, they look healthy but whenever i go near them, they start shaking and when i open the cage gate, they start going crazy. Any suggestions to try to bond with them? By the way, can you tell how old the cockatiel is without its band ring?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
1) You can't tell their age without a banding ring (not unless the people where you got them can tell you)

2) I'll copy and paste this from another thread that I replied to that was similar.

You have firstly got to get your 'tiels trust, it's pretty easy and if you do it right then you'll have absoloutely no problems taming them. Each day for about 10-15 mins sit by the cage and talk to them (softly), don't put your hand in the cage and grab them out at anytime, doing that will only make them lose trust in you. Then sooner or later your 'tiels are going to be curious of your voice and you sitting near the cage, if you see them doing this, that is great! then you can feed them some treats eg: millet through the cage bars or even just some seeds, and they will be likely to accept it. If they start taking treats through the cage keep doing that for awhile/each day, and gradually you can try and put your hand in the cage SLOWLY and see if they'll eat treats out of your hand, they may flip out, if they do take your hand straight out of the cage and try again either later or the next day.. or maybe you could leave it for a couple of days if you want - we want them to gain your trust more than anything.

Next when you've got them used to you sitting near the cage and hearing your voice, taking treats through the bar and them eating out of your hand, you'll be able to teach them the "step up" command - it's really easy to do, all you need to do is put your fingers (2) or hand under them right above their legs and say "step up" they may not do it the first time, it could take a few times, but that's okay, you're trying which is what matters most. If they go to bite you NEVER pull back or react, this will only show them that they can keep biting you and get a reaction out of you and they'll keep doing it, so best thing to do is IGNORE it, simple... just stop and leave them, and try again later/another day.

Another thing with the step up command you don't HAVE to use your hand you can use a stick, I'd recommend teaching them to step up in the cage first, and once they're use to stepping up on your hand you can try outside of the cage.

Pretty much all it is, is time and patience. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i open the cage and change the positions of perches and toys, is that going to lose their trust? If it is, what can i do?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Try to get them comfortable before you make too many changes. When you do make changes do it a little at a time. Speak softly and carry a big treat. As soon as they realize you are a not going to hurt them and you are their source of food things should improve. However some 'tiels are naturally nervous. I have one that always pitches a fit when I open the cage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey...is it good to cover my cockatiel cage with a piece of cloth at night? The cage is almost next to a street lamp...but im worried if its too hot in there...I live in Malaysia where the average daylight temperature is around 32 degrees Celsius.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Cage covering is really not necessary. It can 'cause problems with night frights as they cannot see something that might make a little noise. That's all it takes. Originally it was done in Victorian times when houses were drafty. Now I think people use it to regulate the amount of light a bird gets in a day. A street lamp shouldn't bother them. In fact it's probably a welcome night light. I have an aquarium near my aviary that has the lights on at night and one 18" fluorescent fixture that always stays on. They still quite down when it's dark out side and all the other lights are off.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
to be honest i never cover my cages i have had a few frights but not like when i had budgies since i have only kept tiels gcc and my bourke i have had like 4 the one thing i do is close the curtains at night seems the car lights were the culprit here

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey...I think my cockatiel is moulting but I can see some of its skin under the wings...is that normal? or is something happening?

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
The feathers aren't as dense under the wing so it's normal to see some small patches of skin in the "wingpit" area, even when the bird isn't molting. It's more noticeable in the light-colored birds than the dark ones because the pink skin shows up more dramatically against yellow/white feathers.

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
i am pretty sure Lunar is a boy...and over 6-12 months old...from the pic on ur signature.....a whiteface cockatiel when they are young have a grey face mostly.....im pretty sure im correct in that...the females keep the grey face and the males get more white feathers as they grow older...for a face like that i would say he is over 12 months old...but thats as narrow as i could suggest....Solar is a harder to tell anything about as lutinos are hard to visually sex....which is how i can tell u an approx age on Lunar....by the sounds of their behaviour they aren't hand tame so are scared of you...which makes sense that they are older birds but of course is not always the case...anyway hopefully im right about Lunar and u at least know an approximate age and what sex he is

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow! kimmikefids...I think you are right...Lunar is much more vocal compared to Solar... and tomorrow I am going back to the pet shop to try ask for their age... Thanks ! :)

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
anytime...occasionally i have a bit of knowledge to share :D...sounds like you have one of each there!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha...yea...hope they like each other :p...haha...is fishing line a good material to make a swing??...just wondering...wanted to make a homemade swing for them...

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
im pretty sure fishing line would be too dangerous for them...they could get their legs, toes, wings, neck or other parts twisted in it...if u look in this thread http://www.talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=242 you will find all toys members have made themselves which may give u some ideas of what to use....but i definately would not use fishing line...better safe than sorry!!

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
no don,t use fishing line way to dangerious i have seen where ducks have had there feet caught in it and if it is to bad well we won,t go there

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
owh...haha...thanks...I am gonna start building those bead thingys...I went to the pet shop today and they said my cockatiels were in really good condition :D ....a big thanks from me to all you guys that helped me which are kimmikefids,allen,solace,tielfan, and sweetrsue :clap:

·
Queen of the Pieds
2,706 Posts
you're very welcome....anytime!!! i know how hard it is at first when u don't know what to do!! I'm glad to help out because happy, healthy well-adjusted tiels are what im all about...any questions u have generally at least one person should have the answer.. we help each other out here....i never stop learning about tiels....every day in here i hear something new!! Your two are beautiful and and have lovely names...and i look forward to hearing more about them and seeing more pics!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts