Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help me! Something's wrong with Kirby's wing!

Last night I noticed that when I had Kirby fly to my brother, he squeaked really high pitched, which usually means he's either scared out of his mind or in pain. He had no reason to be scared, so I think he was in pain. Then I noticed that he was holding his left wing kind of weird, not exactly drooping it, but not tucking it back against his side, either. This morning, I went to see if it was better, and had him fly, and he cried out again and has been holding it funny off and on. Usually it's tucked against his side, though. I left him in his cage to rest and then just a few minutes ago to see if it was better I had him fly a very short distance from my finger to his perch and he cried out again. Now he has it tucked against his side, but a few minutes ago he was holding it funny. I've felt his wing, and I don't think that it's broken, but I'm not 100% sure either. I've now got him in my room on his playgym, and he's climbing down it as I'm writing this to get to his food and water, so the problem must only be when he flaps his wings or something like that. Any idea what's wrong with him?

I do plan to take him up to Fallen Feathers (the bird rescue I work at) to have Jody check him out if it's anything serious. She's out of town right now, but will be back tomorrow night. I'm going to text her (I won't call because she's at a wedding), but I thought I'd post this thread in case she doesn't respond. If it's serious, I'll take him up to FF on Tuesday, or Wednesday at the latest. Until then, I'm putting him on a strict "no flight" plan.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Can you see if he's got any large blood feathers growing in? If so, it's possible that one is tender and it hurts him when he puts pressure on the wing. That's a relatively normal situation and will pass as the feather grows in.

Alternatively, it's possible he caught or bumped the wing on something, and it could be bruised or dislocated. It's a good sign that he's able to use it, but if he continues to show signs of discomfort, I would get it checked out to determine whether he may need pain meds.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you see if he's got any large blood feathers growing in?
How can you tell if a feather is a bloodfeather without it breaking and bleeding?

He did bump his wing a few weeks ago and was in pain, and I called Jody and she said he probably just hit it and would be fine in a few minutes and he was. Sometime after that he broke a flight feather and we checked to see if it was bleeding and at the time I didn't see anything. After that, though, I later saw something brownish on the bottom of his feathers near that area that looked kind of like dried blood, but I'm not 100% sure that's what it was. Now the flight feather's started growing back in (you can see it just starting to poke out of the bottom of his wing). I never saw him bump his wing recently, though...

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Now the flight feather's started growing back in (you can see it just starting to poke out of the bottom of his wing). I never saw him bump his wing recently, though...
That flight feather would be a blood feather and is probably very tender right now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That flight feather would be a blood feather and is probably very tender right now.
So you think the feather's just really tender and hurts him when he flies?

What can I do to help him with the pain? Should I avoid flying altogether, or will it help to have him do some very light flying (like when you pull a muscle and it helps to gently stretch it out)? Do you think that I should take him in and get his wing checked out?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I think the wing will be fine, but a vet check never hurts. It all depends on how well he'll handle the stress. As for flying, I'd try to not let him do it too much, just because it is going to be sore until that feather fully grows in.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think the wing will be fine, but a vet check never hurts. It all depends on how well he'll handle the stress..
I can take him up to the bird rescue and have Jody check him out for free. She's not an avian vet, but has a LOT of veterinary knowledge and she can most likely help and if not will redirect me to Fallen Feather's vet. Kirby certainly doesn't enjoy getting his checkups (Jody does his clipping and grooming), but it's not that stressful for him either, because he often goes there to work with me without getting examined at all.

I'll take him up tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest (depends on school), as she doesn't get home until tonight. Thanks :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I took Kirby up to Fallen Feathers today, Jody checked him out, and he left with a clean bill of health :) More good news: his toenails aren't going to need to be clipped for a couple of weeks or more, his beak is in good shape, and today I picked him up a new toy, a cuttlebone, and a new playground! He must be feeling pretty spoiled today, haha :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts