Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cozzi is my 10 year old cockatiel. He started breathing with an open beak last week. I took him to the Avian vet, who said she thought maybe it was a lung infection. Put him on antibiotics and inflammatory meds 2x day. It has been 5 full days on the meds, and I haven't seen any improvement. I called the vet back this morning, she said she would do sedation, and get an X-ray and blood work. I am scared to death! Has anyone gone though this? P.S Cozzi is eating very good, and tries to play with his toys, but gets winded and panting when he tries to play. His weight at the vet was 85g, and since the meds he has gained 2 grams, but he still can't breath good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also....heart disease?

The vet also mentioned possible heart disease and said could put him on heart meds if X-rays showed heart disease. She also said we could just "try" the heart meds to see if he shows any improvement. I am really scared for my baby, and don't know what the right choice is! I don't want to put him through the stress of the sedation and X-ray if I don't have to, but yet I don't want to put him on heart meds if that is not the problem. Advice????

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry you're going through this with Cozzi. My 7 - 8 year old 'tiel Henry has been anesthetized and had blood work done before and he survived through it. He was also medicated and fed via crop needle for 2 weeks while being constantly tested at the vets'. It was well worth it to get the tests done despite the obvious risks to find out what was wrong with him and then to treat it accordingly. He is doing so much better now and although it was a painful time for both him and I, it needed to happen.

It sounds like Cozzi is very sick, therefore I think you need to trust your vet (or if you think she isn't adequate, find a better avian vet) and go ahead with the tests because if you don't and something happens to Cozzi it would be terrible for you. Please keep us updated about Cozzi and let us know how he is doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts