Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would zip tie Spikes cuttle bone to his cage. He has already pulled off the metal that was attaced to it. Do you guys think a plastic zip tie would be safe my Dad has some black ones. Plus it would be cheaper than a cuttle bone holder which I have never seen in any pet store I have been too. Thanks for the info :)

·
Banned
105 Posts
Are they like to hold wire together? also known as zap straps? If so then yes. They are fine. If its plastic it's usually fine.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
As long as there is no metal in the middle of it (i.e. it's completely plastic) it should be safe. :)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I had to use a plastic coated paper clip. The cuttle bone holders i had got rust on them and i tripped out about it. All i have to do now is make sure the babies don't chew the plastic off and we are good. Its something i check regulary. I have bought new cuttle bones and everything once i get my cage all fixed up and all i plan on putting them in. As of right now its hard to do anything with the cage because its on the floor. Hoping to get my cage parts this week or i'm going to tell them i'm sending the cage back and want my money back. See what happens when i tell them that lol.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You can use a peg or just poke them through the cage bars. These are two methods i've used before.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Birdieness, dont use paperclips.
Would you like me to use the cuttle bone holder that is rusted to the point the birds can get at it. I know i will not use it. The paper clip is dug right into the cuttle bone. They cannot get at it. I wouldn't do anything that would harm my babies. Once they chew down to the paper clip it will be gone but anything is better then rust.

I also have a iodine block that the wire rusted out on the back. I still have to find a way to use that aswell and i know a paper clip wont work for this.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should trie a zip tie too :) I have the cuttle bone through the bars but Spike keeps standing on it and I don't want him to cut his toe on the sharp shell part.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You should trie a zip tie too I have the cuttle bone through the bars but Spike keeps standing on it and I don't want him to cut his toe on the sharp shell part.
This is also the reason i wouldn't just stick it through the bars. When my friend was watching my bird and hers out to my place when i was away last summer one of her birds cut his toe on the cuttle bone. There was apperently blood everywere. The toe of this budgie went white but he is fine

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
What about a peg then? If you stick the peg through the bars, and then put the cuttle bone in it it will be much like using a cuttle bone holder anyway. That's how i hang cuttle bones in the aviary.

·
Banned
105 Posts
You can also get plastic cuttlebone holders which you can buy from most pet stores. They usually come in a pack of two, you can use them to hang all sorts, millet, cuttlebone, toys, balsa wood, anything really. :D

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You can also get plastic cuttlebone holders which you can buy from most pet stores. They usually come in a pack of two, you can use them to hang all sorts, millet, cuttlebone, toys, balsa wood, anything really.
i'd love to find them then. I've never seen anything to do with cuttle bones here beside the cuttle bone itself. We have plastic spray millet holders here but thats about it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You can also get plastic cuttlebone holders which you can buy from most pet stores. They usually come in a pack of two, you can use them to hang all sorts, millet, cuttlebone, toys, balsa wood, anything really. :D
Those would be so handy!! I wonder if we can get them here - do you have a picture of what to look for?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
zip ties are fine,
they're pure plastic, and you can cut the extra off so you don't have to worry about him playing with it if you don't want him to or running into it and poking his eye if he gets all excited over something, Just leaving enough on the back to be able to cut it off when the cuttle bone is done

1 - 20 of 23 Posts