Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm going to get a cockatiel (probably in Jan) and I'm doing some planning for cage set up. I have some doubts w.r.t that
1. I can't find calcium sticks anywhere near me. I can only get mineral/calcium blocks. I read that calcium sticks file the bird's claws when they perch on the sticks. Is it necessary and is there any alternative to calcium sticks?
2. I am planning to have some branches/sticks from trees near my house inside the cage. Are there any trees I shouldn't use? (There are a lot of neem trees in my area)

Questions about food:
1. If I were to create a seed mix at home, what seeds should I include and not include?
2. How do I make sure the food is clean?

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi !!
1.u can order cuttlefish bone online if u r unsure about the calcium blocks as they are more natural in its form
2. avoid mango tree branches (things other than fruit from mango tree is not safe) ...and for other branches if u are unsure please do chk on the website : Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.
make sure u wash the branches with a soap solution and rinse and dry well in under the sun so as to avoid any kind of insects attacking ur birds. and avoid screws or other metals in the middle of the branch that would harm them as tiels tend to be curious of everything around them and bitting em.
about food
1. regarding the seed mix u can add all types of millets and 10 - 20 % of sun flower seeds or u can just use sunflower seed as treats. make sure u add a good amount of vegies to their diet (4 hrs can be their edible limit inside the cage after which the food might devolope fungus or bacteria ... for extension of up to 2 more hrs u can keep these vegies in a terracotta plate or cup). chk on to vigie and fruit list safe for tiels (hibiscus leaf, holy basif ,turmeric leaf , capsicum are their fav ... each tiel may differ)
2. wash em and sun dry (usually the are safe enough if just sun dry the seeds)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi !!
1.u can order cuttlefish bone online if u r unsure about the calcium blocks as they are more natural in its form
2. avoid mango tree branches (things other than fruit from mango tree is not safe) ...and for other branches if u are unsure please do chk on the website : Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.
make sure u wash the branches with a soap solution and rinse and dry well in under the sun so as to avoid any kind of insects attacking ur birds. and avoid screws or other metals in the middle of the branch that would harm them as tiels tend to be curious of everything around them and bitting em.
about food
1. regarding the seed mix u can add all types of millets and 10 - 20 % of sun flower seeds or u can just use sunflower seed as treats. make sure u add a good amount of vegies to their diet (4 hrs can be their edible limit inside the cage after which the food might devolope fungus or bacteria ... for extension of up to 2 more hrs u can keep these vegies in a terracotta plate or cup). chk on to vigie and fruit list safe for tiels (hibiscus leaf, holy basif ,turmeric leaf , capsicum are their fav ... each tiel may differ)
2. wash em and sun dry (usually the are safe enough if just sun dry the seeds)
Thank you. Also, is there any temperature restrictions? If I'm using AC, what would be the ideal temperature?

·
Registered
7 Posts
keeping them in ac isn't ideal !!! atleast keep them close to window where they get ample sunlight if in case u have no other option but keep them under ac ... but avoid at the least possible

1 - 4 of 4 Posts