Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tommorow I am bringing Rocko out into the real world lol for the first time we are going to the Omni its like a square with lots of shops around and a park hope he enjoys it and im gonna be walking around the shopping centre too so tell me if im missing anything so I am bringing Tissue for when he poops and I have a container filled with seeds and a bottle of water he can drink from the lid and of course his Harness is there anything else im missing or am I good to go. Also in the omni theres a petstore that has mostly parrots in it so im gonna let Rocko have a little look and then on the way home im gonna bring him for a nail trim and I hope while in the omni I dont get told to get out and I shouldnt if im gonna clean up after him and hes probably gonna be on my shoulder. Has anyone brought their parrots out in public places before? oh and of course ill be taking pics :grey tiel::clap:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think Juliet and Tacotielca would be the people you would want to talk about for bringing 'tiels outside. They might have more safety tips.

The ones I can think of are watch out for all birds around you, other animals, and people. There could be crows that go after you or hawks that dive bomb your 'tiel. I've heard of people that go out and their 'tiels are attatcked while they are on their shoulder by hawks. That post always kept me and Kiwi indoors, lots of hawks in my area. People out walking their dogs could scare Rocko and he could try and fly off, but somehow end up right next to the dog's mouth if he hits himself on something or flys towards it. So if he is not good at dealing with other animals like dogs or loud noises, keep him away from those areas where they are if you can.

Other than that I would just check the harness a few times and do a test run before you go out to make sure it is still safe. Also that it is on right.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sure Rocko is gonna enjoy his day with you. Just watch out for birds like hawks, crows and animals like dogs, cats and loud noises. Be careful and enjoy your day. Excited to see the pics.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Juliet and Tacotielca would be the people you would want to talk about for bringing 'tiels outside. They might have more safety tips.

The ones I can think of are watch out for all birds around you, other animals, and people. There could be crows that go after you or hawks that dive bomb your 'tiel. I've heard of people that go out and their 'tiels are attatcked while they are on their shoulder by hawks. That post always kept me and Kiwi indoors, lots of hawks in my area. People out walking their dogs could scare Rocko and he could try and fly off, but somehow end up right next to the dog's mouth if he hits himself on something or flys towards it. So if he is not good at dealing with other animals like dogs or loud noises, keep him away from those areas where they are if you can.

Other than that I would just check the harness a few times and do a test run before you go out to make sure it is still safe. Also that it is on right.
I do be so scared im always staring at the sky lol and i dont think theres any hawks in my area ive never seen one i think they are very far away in ireland i live in Dublin and them crows are very evil lol they can remember faces and the place im going I dont think there be any dogs but if there is ill watch out thanks for the tips

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure Rocko is gonna enjoy his day with you. Just watch out for birds like hawks, crows and animals like dogs, cats and loud noises. Be careful and enjoy your day. Excited to see the pics.
Thanks ill post pics as soon as I get home :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were home unfortunately i forgot to bring my phone to take pics :( Rocko was ok with the drive and then when we got there my mam went into the shopping center up to the hairdressers and me and my sister went into the petstore while walking over a woman stopped us she was telling us she has two cockatiels and she asked me where did i get the harness and that she never knew there were harnesses for birds i told her and she said shes gonna get two and the petshop workers were also coming over and asking me stuff about him lol and then i went in and we saw budgies and canarys Rocko didnt seem to care :) and then another petshop worker told me she has a biting budgie and she asked me do I have any tips for her lol i didnt really know because every bird ive owned was never a biter then we went into the shopping center everyone was looking and pointing and we went upstairs to where my mam was and we just walked around because rocko would bite the harness if i didnt walk with him a few minutes later i decided to go back to the petshop to see can they give Rocko some seed because i forgot to bring all that stuff with me on the way down I asked a shop worker for tissues for when he poops and then we got to the pet shop and they gave him some seed it was different than what Rocko eats some seeds were familiar and he wouldnt eat any of it then as we were walking back to the shopping center he ate a few seeds then i put the rest in the bin while we were waiting outside the hairdressers some of the workers came out to see him and then I put Rocko on my shoulder and we went for a ride lol he enjoyed it then he flew on to the floor and i picked him up a few times i tried getting him to fly but he wouldnt (Lazy lol) he dosent fly much in the house either he also got a few scratches from two kids I didnt really want people touching him but I like him to get out and see different people then when my mam was finished we went to a few shops everyone was just like look at the bird and i never thought there would be so many bird owners around oh and i forgot a little detail while in the shopping center some little kid said to his dad oh look at the Chicken and i was thinking CHICKEN you calling my cockatiel a CHICKEN lol after we got out of the shopping center Rocko enjoyed a bit of sun and then we went to a petstore near my house to ask could they do Rockos nails before we asked we went to the bird section were Rocko was grew up lol he flew right over to all the tiels they were all just looking at him is he on a harness lol Rocko wouldnt come away from them he wanted to stay im hoping to get another tiel soon the one i was gonna get the woman gave him away to somebody else and Rocko couldn't get his nails cut only the very tip got cut off and he started bleeding so he couldnt get them done im gonna have to try file them Rocko kept moving when the worker was holding his leg but he wasnt biting after that Rocko climbed on to his hand on the way home we were in the car and Rocko ran up to my shoulder to look out the window lol and now Rocko is in his cage preening his feathers. Next time im going out i wont forget my phone pictures would have been great and nobody said anything about Rocko being in the shops and when we were in one of the shops Rocko pooped on my shoulder lol well rocko enjoyed his day he was a bit stressed on the way home hes so tired hes sleeping in his cage now

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rocko is very lucky to have such an owner like you. You treat him really well. Happy to hear that Rocko enjoyed his trip with you outside. Happy to know that you both have returned to home safely.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rocko is very lucky to have such an owner like you. You treat him really well. Happy to hear that Rocko enjoyed his trip with you outside. Happy to know that you both have returned to home safely.
Thanks I really love him he looked so happy when he was in the petstore he was probably thinking this is where I used to live and he was trying to get closer to the other cockatiels I really hope to get another for him soon 2 more weeks and im on my summer holidays and i get 3 months off to spend more time with Rocko lol i spend more time with him than my friends but sometimes my friends like to see him they wanted me to take him out in his harness the other day but i couldnt because it was cold but today was very warm we had to open the windows in the car it was soo hot he had a great time

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm glad everything went really well with Rocko!! I bet he liked visiting with all his friends and remembering where he lived. I hope he has even more fun going out from now on! :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad everything went really well with Rocko!! I bet he liked visiting with all his friends and remembering where he lived. I hope he has even more fun going out from now on! :)
Ye i just need to keep him occupied so he dosent bite on the harness I dont want people around to think im a bad owner putting a harness on him he really enjoyed his day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts