Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my White Faced Pear (Pivot) went out the door when my wife was shaking out a dust rag. There was not more than a three inch opening but he made a b-line for it. She didn't see him coming as she had her back to him. I had him for four months and I had no idea that a small bird could bond with an eighty year old man like we did. He was my special baby and I miss him
terribly. I was doing alright until I was talking to a breeder in Indiana and telling her about him getting away and she said "he had his wings wrapped around your heart" and I completely lost it and cried for hours. I am looking for another White faced Pearl but there will only be one Pivot. He was/is a very special guy. I now have installed a second screen door in the vestibule to make an air lock so it will never happen again. I have had a ton of pets over the years but am still shaken by how that little guy go to me. I learned lot thought and it will never happen again. Thanks for letting me share.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss :( It's crazy how such a little being can make such a huge impact. Good luck in your search for your next feathered baby.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
My heart is with you. I agree with the breeder, they do manage to wrap their wings around our hearts. Cherish the memories, and smile when you think of him.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm very sorry about what happened. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself, these things easily happen. He's free and happy now. I'm glad you're searching for a new tiel, he will bring you years of happiness :)

-Foobzy and Kiki-

·
Registered
878 Posts
This happens all the time - we all make mistakes. Please look up the the websites that let you post a notice about your lost bird and post an announcement on them. You live in a colder northeastern US state (it's all relative :) ) but the conditions right now in your area are the best for an escapee's survival since it's the middle of summer. Tiels will often fly down to something familiar - like another person - even if you are in a relatively rural area. Look at what this bird did to return to human civilization a few years ago, for example:

http://news10.com/2012/08/15/missing-cockatiel-bird-makes-its-way-to-state-police-training/

He went there despite the fact that there was active gunfire on the firing range! The bird was reunited with his owner.

Check the archives here on the talkcockatiels website for what to do when you lose a bird. Once you set up the lost bird listings and have alerted local vets, pet stores, the police, then you've done your part to put the word out. Your bird could be a block away at someone's house but if they don't know who he belongs to then you can't get him back. It's up to the person who lost the bird to get the word out.

It's not necessary to give up on your lost one.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am so sorry, but don't blame yourself. It is still possible that someone found him, so do what tielbob said or also try to write some notices you can put up in shops or so, or ask someone to write a notice for you...
Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts